Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing this happening more frequently, particularly shortly after I start my jeep, but I have no idea what noise to describe this as but it slightly gets louder. What I do know is that it is coming from above the skid plate near the transfer case and transmission. Any
thoughts anyone have a similar noise to this? I am also getting a ticking noise that sounds like a card in bike spokes only while accelerating. I am not sure if they are related in anyway or not. Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
card in bike spokes is probably front double cardan shaft. centering ball and such is probably on its way out.

the video is that with clutch in or clutch out? is there any difference?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speedballin, where is that located at? And I have an automatic, so I wouldn't have a clutch - I apologize for not mentioning that! But it still makes the noise in drive or park

Water dog, would there be any other signs that it's cracked? I just replaced rhe exhaust system from the downpipe back and when I had my mechanic look at least from the bottom he said it didn't look cracked. I still get a shuddering while I am sitting so maybe that could be a sign?

·
Registered
364 Posts
again in relation to card in spokes, the drive shaft that connects the front axle, at the top by the transfer case is the DC joint id say pull the front shaft out inspect it all and drive with out it see if sounds occur.

and water dog is probably right about exhaust leak if you have an auto. did the sound happen just after exhaust was replaced maybe something didn't seat and seal properly or maybe the headers are cracked somewhere out of view. does the sound get worse with engine load?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, okay, now I see where you're talking, I am learning still in those areas. I will definitely be checking it this week! Is there anything I should probably replace while I have it out as the PO didn't replace anything?

The sound has been on and off - doesn't happen every time but can be consistent other times. The noise has happened before I replaced the exhaust if you're meaning the noise from the video. I did hear a ticking nose on the muffler side so maybe something just didn't get tightened right or enough. I am not sure with the engine load, I haven't pulled anything that would made it work harder. Going up on ramps I can still hear the ticking noise that maybe gets a little louder.

The only time I am actually able to hear the noise that's in the video if I come to a stop. Ticking noise I can hear all the time if I have my foot accelerating.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aright.. the ticking noise definitely got worse yesterday. It is consistent with the RPMs, constant ticking, can easily hear it from 15+ ft away so loud, doesn't tick when my foot goes off the gas but lingers if I am going a slower speed, almost immediately if I am going a higher speed.

It sounds like it's coming from either under the fan by the timing chain cover or somewhere around the valve cover/manifold area. I would like it to not be worst case scenario, but would love to figure it out and start fixing it asap as I feel nervous that I am doing more damage driving since it's my DD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts