Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you save or waste gas by staying in a lower gear or by lugging in a higher one? If you were going 35 MPH would it be more economical to stay in 3rd with the RPM's up or 4th lugging it down the road? Just curious!!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sorry, I don't know either. But, you'd think that less rpm's would mean less gas is used. :shrugs:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Lower RPM's gives you better fuel economy, that's why you have an overdrive gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was thinking about that myself. I noticed that doing about 50-60mph my avg fuel economy creeps up when in 4th gear (as opposed to 5th). In theory you would think it would be the opposite. I am wondering if its because you dont have to floor it in 4th to accelerate as you do if you are in 5th (less power). Even when in 4th at that speed I am slightly over 3000 rpm. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
less strain on the engine the more mpg, im not saying rev it up just what is easy on the engine

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Lower RPM's gives you better fuel economy, that's why you have an overdrive gear.
This.

You've just gotta keep it in the gear that is highest to keep mileage while low enough to maintain speed. Since I effectively have no 5th gear, I generally cruise in mine in 4th gear... but hoping my recent gear change helps that.

Denis

·
Registered
635 Posts
At 70 mph, my car is at 2K rpm and gets about 24 mpg. When I drive 55-60, the rpms are around 1.7K and the MPG is closer to 30. If I stay at 70 or less on the highway I generally get about 480 miles to the tank. Thats with a 350 tpi engine with a 4speed overdrive manual. It also has better aerodynamics than our brick shaped YJ's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts