Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has any one had any problems with their TJ's Odometer. Mine speedometer, rpm gauge both quick working for a short time and then would start working again. this happen several times, does anyone have any ideals what the problem might be.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Electrical short somewhere or something is grounding out causing the problem.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Common problem with TJ's. You can push on the dash and it'll come back to life for a while, but eventually you'll want to pull the dash and fix the connections by twisting the male connectors and putting electric grease on them. Mine does it a lot but I've been too lazy and it's tool cold to be doing much on my TJ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that what Im hearing. Just bought the jeep about a month ago and drove it about 300 miles before the problem with the instrument panel. there is a lot of information out there on this. thanks for responding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The first time this happened to me I just stared at the dash and said "Awww, CRAP!". Then I decided to give a good "thwak" to the dash and they came back on. It's happened three times to me over the years, usually at the first cold snap of the winter and only when I first start up, has never happened while driving. If it ever goes chronic on me, I'll know which threads to look up for my fixes. :)

Merry Christmas... RT

·
Registered
615 Posts
by chance does it also reset your trip-meter when it stopped working?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it doesn't reset just stops working and no milage accumulated. I guess that could be a good thing, but since I just bought it I dont know how long this has been going on and what the actual miles are. Im going to pull the instrument panel and clean the connectors and see if that helps. Thats what most of the threads I've read suggest is the problem. Clean and tweak the male connectors.

Have a Merry Christmas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts