Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my odometer started to run backwards. It was running ok yesterday and today it's running wrong. How can that happen?

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: Ronkers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are trapped in a time loop.

Don't know why I'm trying to reply, for you it's yesterday.
Read this tomorrow.
Just go with it. When you get to 12,000 miles, BUY MICROSOFT!
I;m trying to get to 500000 i've 351,980 it was turning to 352,000 till it started going basckwards

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Your '94 has an electronic speedometer. Some joker climbed under your Jeep and switched the wires. Look for a banana in your tailpipe.

But seriously now folks, check your connections on the transfer case. Look for shorted wires.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Ronkers

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
That would cause it to go in reverse
Never heard of an Odometer running backwards...
We need pics of your fluxcapacitor, or like LM said-check the wiring...

John D

Reactions: LoneStarLegend

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,908 Posts
That must what happens when you unplug the emissions timer...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think it was possible either but my mileage is going backwards I only thought you make it run backwards if you set it on jacks and run it in reverse LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
I believe you. I can't imagine any way the odometer can run backward. Does the vehicle speed read correctly or does the needle peg down tight on 0?
If the needle pegs down on 0, that might indicate reverse polarity of the wires that feed the unit. If the vehicle speed reads (somewhat) accurately and the miles driven indicator runs backward, that would indicate a fault within the unit itself.

If you put the rear wheels up on jackstands and run the Jeep in reverse, does the miles driven indicator run forward or backward?

My guess is that if all looks normal at the TC plug and the wire harness, you'll need to replace the speedo head. Just use a magic marker to write the current miles on the new speedo case so that you can add the current miles to whatever the new speedo reads. That's assuming a NEW speedo head. If you get a used one, you'll have some math to do.
I'd also make a label for inside the glove box door stating the Jeep's mileage when the speedo was replace and the miles listed on the replacement speedo. Simple addition will give the true miles driven. That's if you really think the Jeep can make 500K miles. I'm thinking it may be possible.

In Colorado, the title clerk told me that since my miles were over 100K that the title would read 0 (or TMU-True Miles Unknown), even though my odo will read up to 999.999 miles.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Los Angeles
1,721 Posts
I think anyone else with an odometer of 352,000 will trade you straight across.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My speedometer is reading correct not bouncing or pegging 0 .if I’m not mistaken the odometer and the speedometer are 2 different functions,I’ve had it where my speedometer stopped and the odometer kept working

·
Los Angeles
1,721 Posts
I’m hoping jeep will Ofer me something for 500,000
Jeep doesn't even care if their products make it to 30,000. The YJ is not a product of the current Jeep regime. They don't care.

Reactions: NoCheapJeeps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just noticed that my odometer started to run backwards. It was running ok yesterday and today it's running wrong. How can that happen?
It's well known YJ's are haunted. They are descended from Christine The (Steve King) '58 Fury. But they don't kill directly...they aggravate people to death.

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts
It's well known YJ's are haunted. They are descended from Christine The (Steve King) '58 Fury. But they don't kill directly...they aggravate people to death.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Most anybody would be tickled with a declining odometer,
But with you trying to get to 500k to get something from Jeep I can understand this situation is upsetting.

Let this be a lesson to the rest of you.
When you get the vaccine not only are you injected with the Bill Gates tracking device, he can control apparatuses in your general vicinity for his own devious pleasures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts