Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's dark now so I haven't had a real chance to look, so I'll get out there tomorrow and check, but.
on the way home from the store in my 1990 YJ, there was an odorless white smoke, or mist, coming from the air vents in the dash.
it's pretty cold, but I don't have the AC/heating on, but I thought it could of just been heat from the engine causing the cold air inside the car to condensate via the vents, and thought nothing on it.
parked the car, left it, 30 minutes later I headed outside, noticed a little pool of oil underneath the passenger side on the concrete, there was also oil coming down from under the dash...
are these two problems connected? what are your all thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes they are all related. You are leaking oil somewhere and the smoke came in the cab. Just remember when chasing an oil leak look up and forward from where you think it is. Hopefully it is something easy.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It could be your A/C compressor leaked out the refrigerant. There is also oil in the system for lubrication which might be what you're seeing under the dash and on the ground. If a seal(s) blew that will happen.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It could be your A/C compressor leaked out the refrigerant. There is also oil in the system for lubrication which might be what you're seeing under the dash and on the ground. If a seal(s) blew that will happen.
This would be where I would lean as well. Freon is basically odorless and with the oils in the system a failure would be oily in nature. Check the metal tubes going thru the firewall maybe it broke there since you have oil inside and out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts