Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery dropped a whopping 5v, I'm charging it right now, what can I expect on this battery going forward? Seems like some accessories I have are draining the battery faster than I anticipated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
if it dropped to 5V it might be shot. what do you mean backup battery?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Mine went down to dead last year and it charged back up. I left the lights on overnight. I jumped it the next morning and drove it for a few hours. Its still going. Charge it and see what happens. Note: My jeep sits for 2 to 4 weeks between outings.

·
Registered
260 Posts
How is it hooked up to the 'starter' battery and what is all connected to it? We would need a little more information to try and help you figure out what is going on. Ambient Temp can also be a factor.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I'm assuming you have the 34R-1500T?
If you're going to use that Odyssey battery, you're going to need to properly BULK charge it, following a deep discharge/cycle.

The 10Hr rating of the 34R-PC1500 battery is 62Ah. So .4 x 62Ah = 24.8 amps, of bulk charge current needed, to charge battery from a deep cycled discharged condition.
See pg.10 for 10Hr Rating-Ah specification for the 34R-PC1500 battery is 62Ah, as seen here: http://odysseybattery.com/documents/...oductGuide.pdf

See pg.16 saying "Note the charger current in the bulk charge mode must be 0.4C10 or more." Which means (.4 x 10Hr rating).
The ONLY reasonably priced battery charger I can find, that is capable of providing the MINIMUM bulk charge current of 25amps(see pg.16 http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM.pdf) is a CTEK MUS 25000 https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-674-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B0045F3SGY.

And the only "reasonably priced" battery charger that Odyssey themselves say is capable of providing the required minimum bulk charge current, is the CTEK MUS 25000, as seen here: http://odysseybattery.com/documents/...V_chargers.pdf

Odyssey no longer sell a charger capable of charging more than a 55ah battery, the OBC-20A.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
AGM batteries are frickin weird. Just replaced a yellow top because no matter what it would only hold 12.2vdc even with a charger attached. Parts store tester said it was bad. The new AGM seems to only hold at 12.4vdc. Only one day old so I’m going to watch it and see what it does over the next few days. Jeep charges at 14vdc so it seems like it should be closer to that.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
How old is it? They lasting less and less time, i had a optima die that wasnt even a year old, luckily they replaced it free under warranty at auto zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Running dual batteries. I'm driving around, it's back up to 11v, I'll keep an eye on it.

Driving around isn't going to charge it nearly well enough. Good a good AGM (I've got an Odyssey 25a one that works great) and let it charge all the way to 100%.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
Don’t you have a Redarc charger onboard? What accessories are you running?

I run an Engel 45 full time. I have the Victron IP67 25A charger onboard. I have a NOCO charger port on my rear driver-side fender flare that powers the charger and fridge when plugged in. If my Jeep is going to sit more than 24hrs (usually the case on weekends) I plug it in to maintenance the batteries. I’m running dual Odyssey 1500Ts using a Genesis setup. I haven’t had my aux battery run down below 11.8.

I have an email from Odyssey where they stated their documentation on chargers is out of date. The chargers listed are not the only “approved” chargers. A 25A charger is recommended for recharging from a deep state of discharge. I really like the Victron—the built in Bluetooth is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don’t you have a Redarc charger onboard? What accessories are you running?

I run an Engel 45 full time. I have the Victron IP67 25A charger onboard. I have a NOCO charger port on my rear driver-side fender flare that powers the charger and fridge when plugged in. If my Jeep is going to sit more than 24hrs (usually the case on weekends) I plug it in to maintenance the batteries. I’m running dual Odyssey 1500Ts using a Genesis setup. I haven’t had my aux battery run down below 11.8.

I have an email from Odyssey where they stated their documentation on chargers is out of date. The chargers listed are not the only “approved” chargers. A 25A charger is recommended for recharging from a deep state of discharge. I really like the Victron—the built in Bluetooth is a nice bonus.
Yeah, I have the 40A redarc charger. It's back to normal now, I really need to rethink my 24/7 dash cams. They drain batteries quick :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts