Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some ass decided to break my driver window and stole some stuff in my jeep.

I want to upgrade my alarm on my 2016 JKU hard rock with a glass sensor and "bump" sensor. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade available?

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I am sorry that happened to you :rant:.

Glass break sensors are not 100% accurate, and after using multiple aftermarket alarm systems that use them over the years, I can say that even when adjusted to the "nth degree" they will still false sometimes and not trigger at others. They use a microphone that triggers the alarm when it detects frequencies in a bandwidth shared by the sound of breaking glass, and other things can trigger the sensor because their is sound in that same frequency range or something louder going on that masks that frequency range. I would say a shock sensor and a well-adjusted proximity sensor would be more valuable for multiple reasons, though they can be triggered to false alarm as well.

There was a tutorial on the forum as to how to wire an external sensor to the OEM alarm trigger inputs.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/d...-addition-to-factory-alarm-system-113444.html

Other helpful threads:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2016-factory-alarm-upgrade-options-1796153.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/a...shock-sensor-to-the-factory-alarm-140047.html

You can expend time/energy adding to the factory alarm, or you can add a dedicated aftermarket one, but the smash & grab types of crimes won't necessarily be prevented by either as they usually happen in mere seconds, and the thief and your valuables will be long-gone by the time anyone notices or reacts to the alarm. Keeping anything of value away from prying eyes will help on top of every layer of security you add to a vehicle.

I had an extensive and very costly stereo system in my old XJ, and protected it with a CompuStar paging alarm- it was a really good piece of equipment. The entire system was pretty stealthily installed, with only the front component speakers and a blank panel in the dash where the head unit faceplate was detached to indicate anything had been upgraded. One night, my alarm kept going off with the vehicle parked on the street outside my bedroom window overnight. After the 4th time the shock sensor was triggered, I was almost going to disarm it and go back to sleep, but had a look out the window. What was triggering my alarm was a thief, who would walk up and give the tire a kick before running across the street into the shadows...he kept doing that in hopes I'd turn it off so he could have his way with the Jeep. Rather than turning it off, I lit him up with a 4 cell Mag Light (with an LED conversion) so he left for good and I could go back to sleep. The point? There are work-arounds for almost any security measure, so the best approach is to not have anything visible that puts your vehicle on the map in the first place. With that said, I am a big fan of the paging alarms, as they are really good (at least if you are within range when someone messes with your vehicle).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry that happened to you :rant:.

Glass break sensors are not 100% accurate, and after using multiple aftermarket alarm systems that use them over the years, I can say that even when adjusted to the "nth degree" they will still false sometimes and not trigger at others. They use a microphone that triggers the alarm when it detects frequencies in a bandwidth shared by the sound of breaking glass, and other things can trigger the sensor because their is sound in that same frequency range or something louder going on that masks that frequency range. I would say a shock sensor and a well-adjusted proximity sensor would be more valuable for multiple reasons, though they can be triggered to false alarm as well.

There was a tutorial on the forum as to how to wire an external sensor to the OEM alarm trigger inputs.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/d...-addition-to-factory-alarm-system-113444.html

Other helpful threads:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2016-factory-alarm-upgrade-options-1796153.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/a...shock-sensor-to-the-factory-alarm-140047.html

You can expend time/energy adding to the factory alarm, or you can add a dedicated aftermarket one, but the smash & grab types of crimes won't necessarily be prevented by either as they usually happen in mere seconds, and the thief and your valuables will be long-gone by the time anyone notices or reacts to the alarm. Keeping anything of value away from prying eyes will help on top of every layer of security you add to a vehicle.

I had an extensive and very costly stereo system in my old XJ, and protected it with a CompuStar paging alarm- it was a really good piece of equipment. The entire system was pretty stealthily installed, with only the front component speakers and a blank panel in the dash where the head unit faceplate was detached to indicate anything had been upgraded. One night, my alarm kept going off with the vehicle parked on the street outside my bedroom window overnight. After the 4th time the shock sensor was triggered, I was almost going to disarm it and go back to sleep, but had a look out the window. What was triggering my alarm was a thief, who would walk up and give the tire a kick before running across the street into the shadows...he kept doing that in hopes I'd turn it off so he could have his way with the Jeep. Rather than turning it off, I lit him up with a 4 cell Mag Light (with an LED conversion) so he left for good and I could go back to sleep. The point? There are work-arounds for almost any security measure, so the best approach is to not have anything visible that puts your vehicle on the map in the first place. With that said, I am a big fan of the paging alarms, as they are really good (at least if you are within range when someone messes with your vehicle).

Thank you for the feedback! Great info.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Did they steal your rear view mirror? Some people suck ass, and should not exist on this planet any more.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they steal your rear view mirror? Some people suck ass, and should not exist on this planet any more.

Yup, and the tint on my front window made it more difficult for them to break in.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Did they steal your rear view mirror?
That's what I was wondering? I guess the malcontents needed to vandalize after they stole his stuff, add a little salt to the wound.
Hopefully the thieves got hit by a bus running across the street.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was wondering? I guess the malcontents needed to vandalize after they stole his stuff, add a little salt to the wound.

Hopefully the thieves got hit by a bus running across the street.

I'm lucky they didn't get my sig. I have the bestop under seat lock box. And it worked!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm lucky they didn't get my sig. I have the bestop under seat lock box. And it worked!

Oh wow! Glad you had it locked up!
Stupid 'gun free' zones :puke:

·
Registered
316 Posts

Yeah that's some scary stuff if they walk off with that. Is that a radar detector hard wire as well? Only reason I haven't installed my Valentine, I just know someone will try to take it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's some scary stuff if they walk off with that. Is that a radar detector hard wire as well? Only reason I haven't installed my Valentine, I just know someone will try to take it.

Yes. Took my radar detector. So pissed. I feel violated and wish I could smack the guy around who did this.

The damage is extensive, required body work and new steering wheel. I'm lucky I have good insurance.

I was suppose to go wheeling the day after this happened but took the jeep to the shop to get it repaired. Grrrr

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes. Took my radar detector. So pissed. I feel violated and wish I could smack the guy around who did this.

The damage is extensive, required body work and new steering wheel. I'm lucky I have good insurance.

I was suppose to go wheeling the day after this happened but took the jeep to the shop to get it repaired. Grrrr

Sucks, hope the alarm upgrade works out for ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts