Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2013 JKU Sahara with front springs of 16 and rear springs of 59. I have a source that I can get Rubicon springs front 18 and rear 60 as well as the Rubicon red shocks and say bar end links, they are off a 2013 with less than 50 miles. My question is what if any leveling should I expect to gain and how much stiffer would the shocks be or would I notice the shocks at all? I would just like to level my jeep.
Love the look of the TeraFlex Performance leveling kit just don't want to loose warranty. My JKU has under 1000 miles :)
Any help would be great!

Excessv

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Very little difference with the springs. Shocks will be better provided your current shocks are black, and the new ones will be red.

The sway links are the same as what you have.

A leveling kit will have no material impact on your warranty.

Get the leveling kit, or, if it's cheap enough, get the leveling kit, the springs, and the shocks.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I wouldn't expect much if any difference in the rear going from 59 to 60. Changing the front from 16 to 18 will probably raise the front less than an inch. The shocks will stiffen your ride as well as reduce brake dive and body roll. The links are identical on all jk's as mentioned.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Aren't the sport springs shorter then sahara springs? I was under the impression that rubicon and sahara springs were longer? I know on tj's Rubicon and Sahara springs are the same not sure about JK's

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Rwilliamjacob said:
Aren't the sport springs shorter then sahara springs? I was under the impression that rubicon and sahara springs were longer? I know on tj's Rubicon and Sahara springs are the same not sure about JK's
No. There are differences in springs but they are not model specific.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check with your dealer if you're worried about warranty. Generally where warranty issues happen is when you get into the really big lifts that involve a lot of other driveline mods like driveshafts, control arms, etc. aftermarket transmission cooler is one I have confirmed will get u turned away.

I highly doubt you'll have warranty issues with a leveling kit or mild lift. We've got a 3" on our 2011 and have had no issues w/ warranty. We've also checked with the dealer for most everything we do that moves into that territory. They are fine with our lift for example but if we put a tranny cooler on they have to do it if we want to keep that coverage.

You're not gonna get much out of the rubicon parts switch for the work it involves and you're messing with your undercarriage in the same manner as doing a lift. That's the biggest issue dealers have with lifts. It's not the bigger springs, it's whether it was installed properly, and then how much you modified.

Most of the warranty denials you'll see the jeeps are pretty heavily modded.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
snochick said:
They are fine with our lift for example but if we put a tranny cooler on they have to do it if we want to keep that coverage.
It may be more convenient to just let them have this issue, but this isn't true.

If you install a trans cooler properly and encounter a warranty issue with your transmission or something else related to the cooler, Chrysler would have to tie the problem you seek warranty service for to the cooler or its installation (or something else you did wrong) to deny the claim.

If the cooler--regardless of who installed it--had no impact on the problem, then Chrysler is on the hook.

In fact, for the pre-2012 autos, I'd argue that installing a trans cooler is particularly important for those with larger than stock tires given the history of overheating transmissions. Any transmission problem could be blamed on excess heat generated by your big tires, and warranty claims therefore denied, if you don't preemptively install a cooler. In other words, a DIY cooler installation may actually help *preserve* your existing warranty coverage on your transmission if you go to bigger tires.

Of course, I have no doubt that as a practical matter, it's easier to "go with the flow" on something small like this if the dealer claims it to be true, but the fact remains that they're wrong--as they very often are on these issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wouldn't expect much if any difference in the rear going from 59 to 60. Changing the front from 16 to 18 will probably raise the front less than an inch. The shocks will stiffen your ride as well as reduce brake dive and body roll. The links are identical on all jk's as mentioned.
I have the JKUR springs and would mirror what draggo says on lift.
I went from 14 fronts to 18 and got about 1.25" of lift.
I went from 56 to 59 in the rear and got less than 1" of lift.
I did not have rake stock, now I have reverse rake...
They are not longer then Sport, just have a higher spring rate.
I have some pictures somewhere at home.

My understanding when I was looking into doing this upgrade, the shocks on the Sahara are the same (invoice says monotube shocks) as the Rubi except for the color. Some say that the valving is different, but I cant see jeep doing that if they source them from the same place. There are some pix floating around showing them side by side and they look identical. I have not verified this claim, I went with JKUR because they are red...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I just installed the Rubicon 18's in the front and 60's in the rear I also added a 1" Teraflex spacer in the front. I'm thinking that the front looks a tad high I may end up getting a 1/2" to 1" to add to the rear. What do you guys think?

Before:

After:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Ok I just installed the Rubicon 18's in the front and 60's in the rear I also added a 1" Teraflex spacer in the front. I'm thinking that the front looks a tad high I may end up getting a 1/2" to 1" to add to the rear. What do you guys think?

Before:

After:
What were the coil numbers you replaced? It looks to me like nothing happened in the rear and the front is higher by about an inch . . . which is the size of your spacer.

This is why, btw, I always advocate AGAINST 4 doors bothering with this swap. I'd expect you had 16/17 up front already and probably 57 or 58 in the rear. So the "improvement" achieved by going to 18 up front and 60 in the rear was almost zero.

In my humble opinion, I think the stock coil swap is something that 2 doors should think about, not 4 doors.

That said, you look level to me. I'd leave it as it is unless you actually want a bigger lift.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I wasn't trying to gain in the rear I changed all 4 springs and shocks over to a set off a MW3 JKU Rubicon. The rear went from a 58 to 60 and the front from a 16 to 18. I gained an inch from the spacer and about 3/4 from the springs in the front. I like it the way it is but may add a 1/2 spacer to the rear? I can tell you that for sure I have less nose dive under breaking!

·
Super Moderator
21,997 Posts
what does it measure from the concrete to the bottom of the fender wells using your hub as a guide where to measure? did you measure prior to the changes to see how much it actually increased? it looks pretty level to me. I would ot want the rear raised any more tho compared to the front as the rear still looks a tad higher.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts