Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a couple bumpers for my JK, front and rear. I know a lot of people say it's not good to fit a front bumper with a winch to a stock suspension JK. But what about just the bumper and off-road lights? Would two basic style bumpers [no stingers or overly large hoops on the front, no swing-arm tire carriers on the back] be enough to overload the stock suspension of a 2-door?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Never heard you shouldn't put a winch on a stock JK suspension. New one on me

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
These weren't guys in a ski resort parking lot telling you this was it?:D

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
That said, lol. Not sure who told you that but it is absolutely not true. You can put what ever bumper on a stock suspension with absolutely no problem, that includes hoops, winches, jacks, shovels, or what ever else. If the stock suspension was that weak not to handle a winch then it wouldn't be worth off-roading but it isn't.

·
Registered
401 Posts
that being said, if you're concerned about weight you could get an aluminum off road bumper, and a lightweight winch with synthetic rope, probably save 100lbs..

·
Registered
543 Posts
You actually have to do front and rear at the same time. Learn from my mistakes. I only did the front bumper with a winch and the first time I backed it out of the driveway it felt wrong. When I hit the bump at the end of the driveway I rolled the jeep end over end because all the preload on the front suspension. True story.............

·
Registered
844 Posts
your bumper didn't cause the end over end...and if you were backing up the 'preload' on the front end wouldn't make it roll backwards like a turtle...something else was going on there! Is your driveway almost vertical?
You can replace bumpers singlely or as a pair...any way you want. Or take one off and go nekkid...doesn't affect anything. If adding a new bumper and a winch drops your front (or rear for rear bumper) more than an inch-then your SUSPENSION is too weak and due for replacement. To test it...just measure the height from ground to bottom of bumper-then stand on the bumper and have it measured again. YOUR weight is going to be MORE than a new STEEL box bumper and a winch...unless you are a skinny little guy...

·
Registered
543 Posts
NHrubicon said:
your bumper didn't cause the end over end...and if you were backing up the 'preload' on the front end wouldn't make it roll backwards like a turtle...something else was going on there! Is your driveway almost vertical?
You can replace bumpers singlely or as a pair...any way you want. Or take one off and go nekkid...doesn't affect anything. If adding a new bumper and a winch drops your front (or rear for rear bumper) more than an inch-then your SUSPENSION is too weak and due for replacement. To test it...just measure the height from ground to bottom of bumper-then stand on the bumper and have it measured again. YOUR weight is going to be MORE than a new STEEL box bumper and a winch...unless you are a skinny little guy...
I was there man.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You actually have to do front and rear at the same time. Learn from my mistakes. I only did the front bumper with a winch and the first time I backed it out of the driveway it felt wrong. When I hit the bump at the end of the driveway I rolled the jeep end over end because all the preload on the front suspension. True story.............
Was this a full steel bumper with winch on one of those battery-powered Jeeps that a 3 year old can drive up and down the sidewalk in? :rofl:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: I use a mobile winch, that I can takeit/or leaveit-

My JKU has the towing option and I've got a pair of Olympic "rock" bumpers

No weight problems/ no spring problems/ no wiring problems/ nobody see's it problem-

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
543 Posts
AgtSunshine said:
Was this a full steel bumper with winch on one of those battery-powered Jeeps that a 3 year old can drive up and down the sidewalk in? :rofl:
Nope, full size jeep. I even got airborne.

·
Registered
543 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:cool: I use a mobile winch, that I can takeit/or leaveit-

My JKU has the towing option and I've got a pair of Olympic "rock" bumpers

No weight problems/ no spring problems/ no wiring problems/ nobody see's it problem-

Is that a "rock roller" on your front? What do you use for a mobile winch? Is it one of them wheel winches ot just a hi-lift?

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
op. a heavy bumper and winch may cause a little sag in front but thats all, its not a problem at all.. i have a pretty heavy bumper and a heavy winch and im stock no probs at all

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Nope, thats a "race" auto tranny cooler-frame mount-

Is that a "rock roller" on your front? What do you use for a mobile winch? Is it one of them wheel winches ot just a hi-lift?
I use a Warn 3000 lb winch, but I have a HILift and a 3000lb comealong, with multiple snatch blocks for heavy load!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:cool: Nope, thats a "race" auto tranny cooler-frame mount-

I use a Warn 3000 lb winch, but I have a HILift and a 3000lb comealong, with multiple snatch blocks for heavy load!!

Ok. I couldn't make it out in the pic. I know your running a cooler but I also know you have some tricks up your sleeve.

That is a hell of a recovery setup. I'm glad you bring the extra gear. You ever use the 3k for extraction? If so I want pictures. That is one big atv you got there brother.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Heh Heh, Actually I have two aux coolers, kinda redundant and overcautious-maybe !!

Ok. I couldn't make it out in the pic. I know your running a cooler but I also know you have some tricks up your sleeve.

That is a hell of a recovery setup. I'm glad you bring the extra gear. You ever use the 3k for extraction? If so I want pictures. That is one big atv you got there brother.
I have two 2" hitchs on the jeep, and two 2" hitchs on my trailer, I've used the winch on the back of the trailer -

Once at Gold lake, the jeep got over the rocks, but the trailer got off-kilter on the rock and I used the winch, on the assend to-"persuade" it off !

I haven't used it to get "unstuck", I haven't been stuck for a long time-

·
Registered
543 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:D Heh Heh, Actually I have two aux coolers, kinda redundant and overcautious-maybe !!

I have two 2" hitchs on the jeep, and two 2" hitchs on my trailer, I've used the winch on the back of the trailer -

Once at Gold lake, the jeep got over the rocks, but the trailer got off-kilter on the rock and I used the winch, on the assend to-"persuade" it off !

I haven't used it to get "unstuck", I haven't been stuck for a long time-

Never too cautious with cooling where you go.

I like the winch carriers that can mount on a front or rear hitch but my winch is just too damn heavy to be doing that with so I just carry an extra jeep. Haha

Avoiding getting stuck in the first place is key. Since I acquired all of my recovery gear I have not been stuck. Go figure.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Yea, remember, someone said that if you don't get stuck--you just ain't trying hard enough !!

Thats as smart as saying, that if you don't run out of gas, you just aren't driving far enough !

Amazing what WON'T happen, if you "Drive smartly-on road/off-road"

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Bumpers and winch made my stock suspension wallow like an ailing wildebeest in a mud hole.
I put in springs from an Unlimited tow package and it corrected that wallow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts