Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 JKU Black Bear Edition
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone participated in an off-road driving school? If so, which one? Where? Is it worth it? Was thinking about it this morning since a friend of mine has done the Porsche driving school and raves about it.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Contact Off-Road Consulting anyway. Kyle might know someone in your area.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Great Question. Great answer by Rick and Mike :thumb:

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I've taken a couple of classes.
Some of these guys teach military, PD, special forces, etc.

Call Dave: 4WD School Everywhere
Call Scott: Uwharrie Off-Road Training Center | North Carolina North Carolina
Call Tom: Badlands Off-Road Adventures Cali
Call Bruce: Off-road driving school. Overland recreational, professional and military training. 4x4 travel. — Overland Experts Connecticut or Virginia

You can also turn education into an adventure, a fun one, a vacation.
You'll sweat, you'll smile. You'll learn. You'll meet some of the most knowledgeable people in this activity on Earth. Learn by doing.
http://www.overlandexpo.com/

Reactions: Higher Peaks

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
The guys at OEX know their stuff. I spent a day out in the Desert with Bruce and Dave. Lots of good take-aways.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It will sound silly, but there is a lot of people over here that go out to the trails on weekends, check our local postings , everybody is always helping out the newbs, there is pretty much an offroad run or two every Sat or Sun in our Socal section for example, and it goes from everything from easy to difficult, i'd imagine there will be groups around your area that are doing the same, unless you want specific classes on how to do vehicle recovery.
Sure you can do the offload classes, i'd imagine they'll be fun and give you a lot of valuable information, but, practice makes the monk, and the learning will stick if you practice often.

Performance driving is different as you can't go out, technically, with a performance vehicle and tear down corners and give that car a good spirited run, so a race track is needed, to at least do so in a controlled/safe manner, there is a lot more places you can go to enjoy the outdoors/offroad life, and you don't need an instructor to enjoy it, when you go out, remember to respect your local laws and thread lightly.

Have fun.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh man, I wish I still lived in PA! I'm in MO now ...
check out some of the local jeep clubs. Not knowing were you are in MO there should be some somewhere close to you. Also S.M.O.R.R. (I think that's its name. ) has some days for teaching newbe's

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
There's a difference between learning from "locals" and learning from professionals that teach our military...
I know many locals that are VERY good at this stuff. And I know many locals that think they are very good at this stuff and scare the crap out of me.

I tend to think it's a good idea to learn the safest way to wheel. Improvise when you have to but have a good foundation first.

Reactions: AAONMS

·
Registered
2016 JKU Black Bear Edition
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of terrific feedback, thank you all! Will look into all the various options over the weekend and I may just have to make a vacation out of it :)

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Here are a few training/action pics to stoke the fire

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Hilldweller, those pix are from OEX?
The first 4 from Overland Expo 2010, OEX teaching. The next two from the Appalachian Rendezvous with Scott Fields teaching (and a bloke from South Africa)

Included personalities in the pics:
Bruce Elfstrom & Dave from OEX, Thor Johnsen from Viking, & Brian Slobe.( http://www.overlandtraining.com/staff/ ),

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
This is taken from one our local runs, just this past Sunday, i never did this trail before, but i was able to complete it, even being the only one in the group with small 33's, damn it a i need bigger tires :) though i skipped one of the offshots, didn't feel confident in myself, but im sure the Jeep would have done it. There is always a next time, so next time i'll do that offshot.

20160207_092113 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

20160207_094659 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

20160207_123451 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

20160207_100229 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

There is always somebody willing to help and guide you through when you go with a group, and when needed, use the radio to call for one

12654593_1143846822322184_1002968752806902867_n by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

12661980_1143846932322173_8191088132662657283_n by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That's cool, I had no idea.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts