Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm in the process of installing q-tech's HID off road lights on my 10A and I've run into a little wall. I've spent more time that I care to admit searching online for answers and haven't had much luck.

I should probably point out that anything wiring-related isn't exactly my expertise. For the most part, I understand where everything goes, how to connect, etc.... except for this:

IMG_1691.jpg

I understand the amp fuse and the 2 wires (for the button). It's the other end (labeled as the "tap harness") that I'm lost on. Per the directions:

"Locate the vehicle's ignition on 12v power outlet (cigarette lighter). Connect the tap harness in-line with the vehicle power outlet harness."

To be honest, I have no idea what the hell I just typed. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for and where to find it? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
on the dash under the radio is a cigarette lighter that turns on only when key is on. You pull this out with Dash panel. The Connector on the back of it will plug into that harness you have (grey or white connector) the other one will then plug into the back of cigarette lighter (where you unplugged the Factory one from) you are basically putting this inline with the power of the that Cig plug to get your power for the lights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
on the dash under the radio is a cigarette lighter that turns on only when key is on. You pull this out with Dash panel. The Connector on the back of it will plug into that harness you have (grey or white connector) the other one will then plug into the back of cigarette lighter (where you unplugged the Factory one from) you are basically putting this inline with the power of the that Cig plug to get your power for the lights.
How do I remove that dash panel? Do I just force it out? I have a 2017 and don't want to tear it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all,

I'm in the process of installing q-tech's HID off road lights on my 10A and I've run into a little wall. I've spent more time that I care to admit searching online for answers and haven't had much luck.

I should probably point out that anything wiring-related isn't exactly my expertise. For the most part, I understand where everything goes, how to connect, etc.... except for this:

View attachment 2467946

I understand the amp fuse and the 2 wires (for the button). It's the other end (labeled as the "tap harness") that I'm lost on. Per the directions:

"Locate the vehicle's ignition on 12v power outlet (cigarette lighter). Connect the tap harness in-line with the vehicle power outlet harness."

To be honest, I have no idea what the hell I just typed. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for and where to find it? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Do you also connect directly to the bvattery?

·
Registered
2017 JKUR Stock drivetrain
75 Posts
I installed on in my rig and no, it gets the power from the power port wiring. The power port wiring can be hot with the key on or hot all the time depending on where you have the fuse plugged in inside the fuse box. I would use this wiring to a switch and then the output from the switch to a turn on a relay as 10 amps may not be enough to run your lights.

·
Registered
2017 JKUR Stock drivetrain
75 Posts
Dave Bennett I am not understanding your question.
The power port and switch are used to turn on the relay and the power to the lights can come from the battery thru a fuse large enough to power the lights, to the relay and on to the lights. When done this way (if the power port turns off when the key is turned off) the lights will go off when the Jeep key is turned off even if the light switch is left on. If unsure of how to use a relay do an online search of how to wire an automotive relay. They are nothing more than an electrically operated switch.

You could use a fuse tap to power a relay thru a switch as relays only draw a few milliamps to operate the relay. I would not use a tap thru a switch straight to the lights. Lights use a lot of amps, the wiring and fuse that you tap into will probably not be able to handle it (along with whatever else the fuse is powering) and could burn up wiring and constantly flow the fuse.

You could go from the battery thru a fuse to the switch to the lights if you want, however make sure the wire, switch, and fuse can handle the load. Also you would have to turn off the lights when you shut off the rig as they would stay on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dave Bennett I am not understanding your question.
The power port and switch are used to turn on the relay and the power to the lights can come from the battery thru a fuse large enough to power the lights, to the relay and on to the lights. When done this way (if the power port turns off when the key is turned off) the lights will go off when the Jeep key is turned off even if the light switch is left on. If unsure of how to use a relay do an online search of how to wire an automotive relay. They are nothing more than an electrically operated switch.

You could use a fuse tap to power a relay thru a switch as relays only draw a few milliamps to operate the relay. I would not use a tap thru a switch straight to the lights. Lights use a lot of amps, the wiring and fuse that you tap into will probably not be able to handle it (along with whatever else the fuse is powering) and could burn up wiring and constantly flow the fuse.

You could go from the battery thru a fuse to the switch to the lights if you want, however make sure the wire, switch, and fuse can handle the load. Also you would have to turn off the lights when you shut off the rig as they would stay on.
Ok thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts