Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a stock 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara I am planing on doing light off roading maybe a little mud and rocks but nothing to extreme because I do not have a lot of money. Any recommendations on mods to make my jeep perform well off road?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The single best thing I did that I think made the biggest difference and improvement was to get a suspension upgrade/lift.. I got a Rock Krawler 1.5 inch lift which actually lifted the Jeep 2 inches, Fox 2.0 shocks, and quick/easy swaybar disconnects.. This setup gave me a huge amount of articulation and also helps keep the Jeep out of the rocks a bit..
I also got a rear locker.
I rarely need/use that locker, but boy does that suspension/lift make a huge difference, especially with the sway-bar disconnected for going over rocks and off-camber/rutted areas.

·
Registered
581 Posts
IMO your stock Wrangler is already setup to do well for basic off-roading. Just make sure you have good tires.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
An air compressor to re inflate your tires. And a wrench to disconnect your sway bar. And a recovery strap to get unstuck, and a buddy to wheel with to attach the other end of the snatch strap to. And that's about it. Maybe throw a shovel in the back. It's already an awesome off-road machine.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"a recovery strap to get unstuck, and a buddy to wheel with to attach the other end of the snatch strap to. And that's about it. Maybe throw a shovel in the back. It's already an awesome off-road machine. "

this^^^^^

Don't underestimate how important learning how to NOT get stuck with 'just the box stock Jeep' is really important part of 1) saving your $$$ for important stuff; 2) learning how to use the basic capabilities already present in the very design and DNA of the Wrangler.

Jeep is so far beyond your regular road vehicle capabilities, that it really merits devoting time to understanding what is and what isn't workable solutions for so much of what simply pleasant without seeking special hazard areas that really do demand skills and equipment that all cost a fortune.

My own modest start in 1945 CJ2 was in 60hp skinny UDT.mil treads, with a rope tied to the bumper (sometimes) and a shovel (sometimes). That limited equipment was adequate for about 80% of the unpaved surface area of SW Idaho circa 1961ish. You will gain skills useful in later and more demanding off-road areas.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Invest in yourself first. Learn how to wheel safely and smartly. Like Jake said, learn how not to get stuck and how to get out when you do. Recovery equipment is a must, the rest is great if you need it, but IMHO not necessary. Enjoy!

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,232 Posts
I have a stock Willys. After going to the Tillamook jamboree I decided to add quick disconnects and better/more skid plates but to keep the suspension stock. The Jeep can do way more than my current off road driving skills can handle (hence the better armour) :)

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Welcome, JeepLover! I echo what others have said above -- don't be in a hurry to mod. Every week a person or two comes on with a "just got a Jeep, what should I modify first?" thread. Nothing wrong with being excited about all the potential out there, but I think if that's your question, you're going about it wrong.

When you are ready to mod, you will know what you need to mod. You will probably be wanting to mod because you have reached the limits of some stock part of your Jeep -- you can't get through or over or around an obstacle and want to be able to do so next time. When that happens you'll come on here with a specific question, like: "Tried to climb muddy hill with small rocks, couldn't make it, what do I need?" Or, "Need a rear locker, should I go air, electric or cable?"

People will be much better able to help you if those are your type of questions. Otherwise, you'll get people spending your money for you on everything in the book to "help your Jeep perform better offroad." :)

So go out and start doing the things you want to do, with stock Jeep and somebody along who can pull you out if your Jeep can't do those things. Or get a winch and learn how to use it. Then you'll know what specific questions to ask.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm not a serious wheeler, but I do push the limits of the stock Jeep and my driving skills. Went up a steep hill where the trail had washed away at the top and I couldn't see it until it was too late. High centered my Jeep. Went into a puddle that turned out to be a chasm. Flooded my stuck Jeep. I used my winch to get me out both times with only minor scars and drove home without issue.

So I ask, would 35" tires and a 2.5 inch lift helped me in either of those situations? Nope. I would have been just as stuck. When my stock tires ware out I will have a decision to make on if I want to get a lift, and what size tires to get, but right now I'm enjoying what I've got, and with a winch in place I can go anywhere I feel comfortable going in a $40K vehicle.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Learn, learn, learn. Don't go buy stuff yet.

I've seen an expert 80 year old grandmother take a classic 1940's jeep on trails and not get stuck on their little thin tires where the built up monster JKU on 40 inch tires and a huge lift and air lockers immediately got stuck right after.

The grandmother took a strap and pulled out the monster Jeep with her little classic like it was nothing.

Research "recovery bags" and learn how to use the parts inside on YouTube. Get a basic recovery bag that covers the parts that seem useful to you.

Research "Jeep JK stuck <terrain type> youtube" where you fill in the location or kind of terrain you'll be going to. Watch how they get themselves unstuck and what parts they use to unstuck themselves.

Get the parts that will be useful to you. It shouldn't cost more then about $200 for a basic bag. Don't skimp on cheap parts here, but the basic bag does not need that many parts. Cheap parts leave you stuck. Extra parts you don't use just waste money.

Go with the friend or the local Jeep club the first few times.

After that, the Jeep club folks will be able to point out to you where the "weak points" on your Jeep are for the particular place you are going.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"So I ask, would 35" tires and a 2.5 inch lift helped me in either of those situations? Nope. I would have been just as stuck. "

excellent point!!!

Not so long ago (OK, a couple decades.....) my cherished 54 Willys Overland (with 5.89 diffs/large mudders/enhanced clearance) had negotiated many of the local old trails out thru the woods....so I went on a spur loop in rainy season that I had easily traveled before....

Mistake in judgement, high centered in slippery gumbo, the monster wheelers had chewed out the normal tracks & was unable to straddle due to width of troughs and slickness.

Took literally a badass 4x4 pickup, which stuck itself badly, a small tractor, which stuck itself, and a large tractor with ample cable & 4x4 agricultural gearing. No amount of self carried recovery gear nor a winch would have helped. Simple bad judgement led to being stuck overnight and a major PIA recovery effort. Yes, I walked home. Fortunately it was only a few hundred yards from my own rural front door.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
So now hopefully you get what we're saying I'm going to give you some personal experience. First off the guys who off-road everyday. The ones where it's their passion seem to realize things are expensive to wheel, and it's a process. The jeep evolves over time. But they have a budget. You can go through thread after thread after thread in this and any other forum and listen to guys build their rigs with fancy wheels and tires and lifts and on and on. They'll show you pics of everything. But what you won't see is their true off-road pics. Sure you might see a pic of them in a field behind the dealership or whatnot. Or a beautiful scenic shot on the side of the road. But once you have a large amount of money invested in parts you've never tested it gets harder for people to get out there. There is of coarse a few. And I have no trouble with the guys who build them up just to do it. It's their money and it's fun. But since your asking about truly going off-road that's why we advise you to get some basic recovery equipment learn how to use it and get out there. My first time out I met up with a great guy who wheeled the area almost every weekend. He asked me if I wanted advise on what to modify. I'm thinking he's going to say a lift and tires, or a front bumper etc. you start reading these forums and you think that's what you have to have just to leave the parking lot. His answer to my surprise was a rear bumper. For the reason that stock JK's don't have a lot of rear corner defenses. And he's seen quite a few of them slip sideways and catch a tree in the rear and dimple the thin metal in the corner. That's real world every weekend knowledge that you get from being out there. I've yet to read a forum here that says a rear bumper should be up near the top of your mods list. Anyways sorry for such a long post. What I hope you take away from it is be Leary of what people tell you you need. Go out there and find out from the guys in the field. Not us sitting behind a computer or phone spending your money for you.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
One of the local Off-Road Driving clubs offers twice-yearly safety clinics. I can't recommend this more highly than to come through the computer monitor, grab you by the scruff of the neck and direct you to seeking similar in your vicinity. Ours was about $65 and is the best, absolute best, investment in money for off-road driving. All the good advice already in this thread, plus this and you're good.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Best addition for your Jeep is: Join a local Jeep Club. Go wheeling with them. You will be shocked what your stock rig is capable of. Watch, learn and determine what you need for what you want to do.
I also agree with the post above mine, consider taking an off road course. They will teach you things that may take you ages to learn on your own. Also could end up saving you from making costly mistakes either through damage to your Jeep or your person.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Some good advice in this thread!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts