Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on some trips next year to go "off the grid"..no cell service at all. I need a good GPS unit, and was wondering what everyone uses. I have been leaning toward a handheld, since it is versatile enough to be taken hiking, or in the worst case scenario, I have to leave the Jeep and strike out on foot for self rescue.
What handhelds are you guys using? Did you just buy a mount and use them inside as you drove also? Looking for something with a nice clear screen and under 400 bucks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
We use Magellan when out hunting and love it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use a Garmin Oregon 450 also if you have phone signal, an app that seems to work great is "Motion-X GPS" I have on my IPhone. It uses satellite imagery and does a great tracking.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I know they work well. They are also tied in with the SPOT system which is a good thing.
I've looked into SPOT also. Excellent thing to have, especially for what I plan to be doing. Thanks! That's a good extra for sure on the Delorme.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts