Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

821 - 840 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, my 2020 JLUR has the hinge-gate reinforcement and I added the factory hinge-gate reinforcement to my 392 order. I believe it works with either one.

Let me see if I can dig up a pic...

Eugene! Congrats man that Jeep is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
You're very welcome. I'm happy to have the Jeep and to be able to send the pix.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you look online you can see that the 392s are starting to arrive as there are many that are posted up for sale as of 2-4 days ago. I wonder if a lot of folks figured on "flipping" 392s. Not me. I want it to be my last Jeep. Yes, I am getting up there in age and one more really good Jeep should last me a long time. Recently, I have gone through a few. One was purchased by my daughter and son-in-law. My current Jeep was really going to be my last until Jeep announced the 392 on November 17th, 2020. Both a good day for me but a bad day for my wallet.
SteedGun - you can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it - here and now...

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
If you look online you can see that the 392s are starting to arrive as there are many that are posted up for sale as of 2-4 days ago. I wonder if a lot of folks figured on "flipping" 392s. Not me. I want it to be my last Jeep. Yes, I am getting up there in age and one more really good Jeep should last me a long time. Recently, I have gone through a few. One was purchased by my daughter and son-in-law. My current Jeep was really going to be my last until Jeep announced the 392 on November 17th, 2020. Both a good day for me but a bad day for my wallet.
I'm turning 65 in six months and the 2013 10A was going to be my last Jeep -- it only has 60K miles with the MaxCare lifetime. But the Rubicon 392 has me rethinking those plans. If I hold out and retire when I'm 70 instead of 66, it would be better financially, but not sure I can tolerate another 4 years in the workforce.

It depends on what my boss does... we're the same age, only six months apart.

I don't want to miss out on the 392, but some days I want to be retired.

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm curious.... what's your average fuel mileage on the EVIC?

I took a short freeway trip today and managed to squeeze out an average 15.3 MPG with the Pentastar 3.6L..

View attachment 4506885
I'll check it tomorrow and let you know. I'm just under 600 miles at this point.
So is it as fast as you thought it would be? That kind of HP should just smoke the tires. BTW, tread lightly,,,lol.
It's quite quick and responsive; even in the quiet mode. Press the exhaust button and it sounds like the entire vehicle becomes a tiger on the prowl. So much more entertaining than driving my 2000 Tundra 4.7 L V-8.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I'm turning 65 in six months and the 2013 10A was going to be my last Jeep -- it only has 60K miles with the MaxCare lifetime. But the Rubicon 392 has me rethinking those plans. If I hold out and retire when I'm 70 instead of 66, it would be better financially, but not sure I can tolerate another 4 years in the workforce.

I think you hit the most important point about finances. Spending too much money too soon can lead to a disappointing financial situation down the road. The flip side is to enjoy the benefits of working while one is young enough and healthy enough to do so. I’m not big on constantly flipping vehicles and compared to many people have not owned that many in my lifetime. For the most part I keep them 8 to 10 years (a couple I unloaded after around 3 years), but also mostly have two at any given time.

My plan is a simple one, I decide at the beginning of the year how much money to put into savings and how much to put into the home maintenance and improvement pot. What is left I spend for everything else. If I want to buy a vehicle I plan ahead and reduce my other purchases to accumulate a vehicle fund. I generally buy one to two rifles and a very nice optic once a year and maybe a pistol.

Reactions: m998dna

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts

You and I are almost the exact same age. I think the 392 will be a great Jeep to keep for a long time. The only real downside I can see is MPG. On my 2020 JLUR with 35" tires I am getting right near 16 MPG average. At least that It what I remember tonight. I will go out tomorrow and run her up the freeway for a bit and give you a better number so we both have something to compare to the 392. I am expecting the 392 to be around 13 MPG on freeways and lower around town and even lower when I keep pushing the pedal.

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
I am expecting the 392 to be around 13 MPG on freeways and lower around town and even lower when I keep pushing the pedal.
Steed... I think you'll get better than 13 MPG on freeways.

I got 13 around town and 16 on the freeway with my 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 6.1L... 5-speed trans, AWD, 3.73 gears. The Rubicon 392 6.4L has MDS, 8-speed trans, AWD and 3.73 gears with a bunch of low end torque.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm curious.... what's your average fuel mileage on the EVIC?

I took a short freeway trip today and managed to squeeze out an average 15.3 MPG with the Pentastar 3.6L..

View attachment 4506885
In the first 604 miles of my Rubicon 392's life, I averaged 14.9 mpg as per the onboard computer. Keep in mind this included a 406 mile roundtrip jaunt to NH which was mostly all highway with 65 & 55 mph speed limits predominantly. As the engine breaks in, and az things loosen up, this should improve slightly.

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
In the first 604 miles of my Rubicon 392's life, I averaged 14.9 mpg as per the onboard computer. Keep in mind this included a 406 mile roundtrip jaunt to NH which was mostly all highway with 65 & 55 mph speed limits predominantly. As the engine breaks in, and az things loosen up, this should improve slightly.
Thanks Eugene... not bad for an engine that puts out 470HP/470 lbs. torque.

my 6.1L Hemi was 420HP.... so this is a nice bump in HP.

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
I think you hit the most important point about finances. Spending too much money too soon can lead to a disappointing financial situation down the road. The flip side is to enjoy the benefits of working while one is young enough and healthy enough to do so. I’m not big on constantly flipping vehicles and compared to many people have not owned that many in my lifetime. For the most part I keep them 8 to 10 years (a couple I unloaded after around 3 years), but also mostly have two at any given time.

My plan is a simple one, I decide at the beginning of the year how much money to put into savings and how much to put into the home maintenance and improvement pot. What is left I spend for everything else. If I want to buy a vehicle I plan ahead and reduce my other purchases to accumulate a vehicle fund. I generally buy one to two rifles and a very nice optic once a year and maybe a pistol.
A financial planner of a former employee advised him to start taking SSA income when he turned 65... and to continue working and retire at age 70. He maxed out his 401K and banked and invested the SSA income over the next five years.

He had to pay income taxes on SSA income, but the math showed it would have taken him 15 years to recoup the deferred income if he had waited to draw SSA income at age 70. I'm thinking about doing the same.

I want to start drawing SSA income before the feds cut the benefits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Regardless of WHEN you start drawing SSA, it's the same (relatively) amount of $ spread out over different time periods. By your posts, I conclude that you're both still alive. Can you say how long each of you will live?

I'll assume your answer is akin to my doctor's prognosis: "I can say you will die, but I can't say when." I told her I was going to get a second opinion...

Therefore, I say: Don't wait any longer than your NRA (Normal Retirement Age.) A dollar today is a dollar you can spend or invest. A dollar today is worth MORE than a dollar some years down the road. You're alive now, but who knows for how long? You can't take it with you. Ever see a hearse with an armored truck in hot pursuit ??

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
A financial planner of a former employee advised him to start taking SSA income when he turned 65... and to continue working and retire at age 70. He maxed out his 401K and banked and invested the SSA income over the next five years.

He had to pay income taxes on SSA income, but the math showed it would have taken him 15 years to recoup the deferred income if he had waited to draw SSA income at age 70. I'm thinking about doing the same.

I want to start drawing SSA income before the feds cut the benefits.
If a person is disciplined and invests the SSA funds that is a good strategy assuming the income tax bracket is not to high. I’m at least 8 years out for retirement or whenever my investments hit a certain predetermined dollar amount. But, I enjoy the kind of work I do and really can’t see myself not doing some form of part time work or consulting. I really think I would get bored and go crazy.

The way the federal government is spending money I think SSA going broke is the least of the concerns I have about the US in general.

Reactions: m998dna

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
Quiet in here...

Fun facts:

There's 117 Rubicon 392s for sale on Cars.com.

Two priced over $100K.
Nine priced between $90-$100K.

D43DCD8C-0A8B-4F8F-97A8-F617455536D8.png

Reactions: pismo61

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Quiet in here...

Fun facts:

There's 117 Rubicon 392s for sale on Cars.com.

Two priced over $100K.
Nine priced between $90-$100K.

View attachment 4507196
It is quiet on my side because I am sad that all if have is a VIN now and no build status in over a week. I am wondering if my 392 got caught in the micro chip shortage.

Some of the 392s for sale I have seen are not marked up a terrible amount from MSRP. I have not seen one live in the wild yet.

I sure hope Eugene is loving life with that gorgeous Sage 392. I also hope he has not got any ticket yet either.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Is there a speed limiter on the 392?

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
It is quiet on my side because I am sad that all if have is a VIN now and no build status in over a week. I am wondering if my 392 got caught in the micro chip shortage.

Some of the 392s for sale I have seen are not marked up a terrible amount from MSRP. I have not seen one live in the wild yet.

I sure hope Eugene is loving life with that gorgeous Sage 392. I also hope he has not got any ticket yet either.
Not sure about the chip shortages on the Wrangler. If the Rubicon 392 has different boards it would be considered low volume PCBs. I've been reading GM and Ford are switching over to chips that are more readily available.

What does that imply?

lol... I used to report into manufacturing where we had a full blown PCB plant in Central California. Aside from hazardous waste and trying to avoid counterfeit chips on the open market, it's a bitch of an industry. It was a high mix, low volume plant and we had lot of problems with chip shortages.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
What is the speed limiter set at for the 3.6?

I ran mine up a few times and did not notice one yet.
The speed limiters are the aero, the cooling system, etc. Unless you drive off a cliff you don't need a speed limiter with the 3.6.

821 - 840 of 894 Posts