Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

141 - 160 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
IN the Reveal video, the head of Jeep stated half doors are available on 2021 Wrangler

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Look, I admit I don't understand how they rate tow capacity. I know that wheelbase helps stability but this monster Jeep has a reinforced frame, much larger engine, beefed up brakes, but no increase in tow capacity? So, three things I want to see published. MPG, price, tow capacity.

·
Premium Member
9,943 Posts
Tempting... but dealer markups will be insane.

Reactions: bill61

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Look, I admit I don't understand how they rate tow capacity. I know that wheelbase helps stability but this monster Jeep has a reinforced frame, much larger engine, beefed up brakes, but no increase in tow capacity? So, three things I want to see published. MPG, price, tow capacity.
Cooling and braking are big factors, probably quite a bit more than engine power. My old truck had a 7600 lb towing capacity with a 230HP/330ft lbs engine. The added weight for the 392 could eat up all the extra capacity of the brakes, and the cooling may be insufficient for heavy towing like the case of the diesel Gladiator. It all comes down to being limited by the weakest link. Considering the 3.8 Wranglers could tow the same as the more powerful 3.8, I doubt HP is the weak link.

Or it could just be marketing demanding an artificial limit to push buyers to a 392 Gladiator when they inevitably announce it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
All good feedback. This will be interesting. I think the options will be interesting as well. They had a subtle hint in the one video that if you want bigger wheels tires you should get beefier axles. Wow. That's a lot of $$ to change out for bigger wheels and tires.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
It's marketing. Take some of the Bronco attention. IMO, for me the 392 is just too much for the Wrangler. I really think a nicely tuned 5.7 would be better. As soon as you put a larger tire on that 392 and snap something, FCA will void the warranty and you'll have a $80K jeep with no warranty. I am sure they will sell every one they make with a big mark-up. I don't have money to burn so I'll keep what I have.

Reactions: Mr. JP

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
I don't care for the body colored hard top but I do like both safety groups. You have to get them under control but I like them a lot.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I don't care for the body colored hard top but I do like both safety groups. You have to get them under control but I like them a lot.
I'm all about choices. Seems to me when you are spending over (pick your number, but I think the number is around thirty grand) X you ought to have choices. And this isn't the typically WF give my 37's and Dana 60's but no carpet kind of thing. This is a don't add options that are stand alone on every other Wrangler.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The difference in engine weight is not going to change braking much. The weight difference might be less than adding a couple of adult passengers vs just a driver.

·
Super Moderator
16,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Guess I'm the oddball out. I'd totally buy one and slap D60s and 40"s on it. (if it were in my budget this year, but unfortunately I'm poor)

FWIW we put a D60/D44 combo on our '18 with 37s almost immediately after buying it and never had a warranty claim denied, including a new head on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Fuel economy--trying an educated guess. I looked up a Durango V6 vs Durango SRT, which have city 19/13, highway 26/19, and combined 22/15 fuel economies, respectively. In a way this shows what the 392 drinks versus the Pentastar. So if you take the 4 door Rubicon's milage and do the same decrements, you end up with 392 Wrangler potentially being 11 city 16 highway, and 12 combined. Add armor, bumpers, winch, bigger tires, recovery gear (which ignores people, coolers, personal gear) and those MPGs could fall by another couple mpg. And your likely not going to get the advertised highway mpg if you live out west in the land of 85 mph interstate speed limits. So potential worse case scenario is the 16 highway goes to 13 (weigh + speed) and that's kind of a bummer. (Not from an environmental nor cost perspective, which would also be true, but from a range perspective.)

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
Where you hear this? Been trying to get an order/details in.
Dealer. It’s like the blind 4XE ordering

I’m hesitant because 1) it will still have the inherent JL interior issues and 2) hard to give up the manual transmission 3) tons of options I don’t want (leather, colored hard top, safety groups, etc)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Will the 392 come as a hybred or e-torque. For what the 392 will cost I would rather get a diesel with a long term warranty and service contract. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds in a box like the Wrangler is not my idea of fun.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Fuel economy--trying an educated guess. I looked up a Durango V6 vs Durango SRT, which have city 19/13, highway 26/19, and combined 22/15 fuel economies, respectively. In a way this shows what the 392 drinks versus the Pentastar. So if you take the 4 door Rubicon's milage and do the same decrements, you end up with 392 Wrangler potentially being 11 city 16 highway, and 12 combined. Add armor, bumpers, winch, bigger tires, recovery gear (which ignores people, coolers, personal gear) and those MPGs could fall by another couple mpg. And your likely not going to get the advertised highway mpg if you live out west in the land of 85 mph interstate speed limits. So potential worse case scenario is the 16 highway goes to 13 (weigh + speed) and that's kind of a bummer. (Not from an environmental nor cost perspective, which would also be true, but from a range perspective.)
Yes. My guess is a 392 with 35” tires would likely be 13/18 MPG; premium fuel required.

141 - 160 of 288 Posts