Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where would you guys mount a pair of 6" offroaad lights, i would prefer them up high, you think lights would look alright mounted on windshield brackets? What about the hood?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I have a hoop on my front bumper that puts the top of the lights just a hair above the hood line, that I like alot.

My father has the windshield brackets and the front hoop. He has the ones on the hoop point forward and the windshield ones point out towards the sides a bit.

I also have a roof rack that I used to have 6 lights on, 2 floods pointing at about 45 degree angles from the center, and a pair of KC 130w Driving and Long Range lights. I love having all the light, but the added wind resistance is not enjoyable. The other problem with roof lights is they reflect off my white hood. Although I have been toying with the idea of flat blacking my hood...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got KC's mounted on my windshield (see avatar). I like them there... they really light it up.

My only complaint is now I can't just rest my hood on the windshield when it's open. I have to use that little stick thingie. :(

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
One other issue with windshield bracket mounted lights...if you do a lot of off-roading in the woods, they are not protected and if one of them snags a branch, not only will it tear your light off but the bracket may also end up damaging your windshield frame as it's being bent/ripped off. Just something to be aware of...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got KC's mounted on my windshield (see avatar). I like them there... they really light it up.

My only complaint is now I can't just rest my hood on the windshield when it's open. I have to use that little stick thingie. :(
I have the windshield light hinge brackets with hella 500's and I can rest my hood on the windshield just fine.

·
1,110 Posts
I would still go with the windshield lights. They produce good light and they should be pretty tough, I wouldn't worry About ripping one of them out. If you do get lights get them with covers or protecters.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got em on my windshield as well and I just put a towel over the top of the windshield and have no problem with hitting the hood. Again the first mod I do is the windshield light mounts.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I personally prefer them mounted low on the bumper or at headlight level as I had them on my last Jeep. Up high on the windshield can create more glare, especially when it is dusty.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I mounted mine on front bumper check out my avatar. It works great...light up the road. I modded mine to HID.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ditto on the windshield mounts. I was afraid if I ran into something they would get damaged, or covered in mud...lol

·
Registered
802 Posts
here..........

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I personally prefer them mounted low on the bumper or at headlight level as I had them on my last Jeep. Up high on the windshield can create more glare, especially when it is dusty.
x2

Not only that, don't go to crazy with lights, unless you actually need them. I used to have two extra lights on my bumper, and that was more than enough. It's a lot of extra stuff to break and have stolen.

That's just my opinion, and I don't know what kind of wheeling you do.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
One other issue with windshield bracket mounted lights...if you do a lot of off-roading in the woods, they are not protected and if one of them snags a branch, not only will it tear your light off but the bracket may also end up damaging your windshield frame as it's being bent/ripped off. Just something to be aware of...
x2. They can and will get ripped off. Also, do you want to be able to lower your windshield? You may or may not still be able to do it, but then windshield mounted lights won't be useful. Where I wheel it's not good to have the over windshield hoop either because of low hanging branches. I can't tell you how many situations I've been in where side mounts or over mounts would have ripped them completely off and caused more damage.

Jerry Bransford said:
And another reason to go with bumper mounts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Up high on the windshield can create more glare, especially when it is dusty.
I, too, mounted my IPF's on my bumper. When driving at night and there is lots of large heavy flake snow falling, lights mounted high will make the roads seem like you have a bedsheet in front of you. With the lights mounted low, it helps to illuminate better.

On a side note, remember that having more lights doesn't mean you can go faster, just means you can see better at a slow speed hahaha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I like'em low too, the glare off the hood bothers me. I got two going forward and the other two turned out 10 degrees makes for a nice sweep of light.

Attachments

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Go with the bumper if you can. windshields are nice but, I would say over rated. get all 4 eventually :p

IF you get slim fits, windshield can sit back, daylighters it wont, hellas it should ^

Mine seem pretty secure actually, I can actually sit my hood back ON my lights, I have the KC stone gaurd covers. Ive knocked covers off with branched before and its all fine.

bumper mounted are more affective in inclimate weather. with snow, rain, fog, windshield lights put light right in front of your face, and it gets caught in the precipitation limiting visability. so bad. plus they make blindspots, and it you have soft windows like mine that glare anyways, you need all the visible space you can get.

just my 2 cents ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts