Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice???

Will be gone 10 days. Staying in West Yellowstone for 4 nights and then head down to Estes Park for couple more.

Any suggestions or must do's?
We've been to Yellowstone before, but this is our first family vacation with the Jeep.

Will be going with full doors and soft top, hopefully can enjoy the area up there naked:thumb:

Gas stations here I come..:rofl:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hike the Fairy Falls Trail and climb the hill for an awesome view of Grand Prismatic, we took our five year old its kid friendly. Find a place to go out about eleven at night away from everything and look at the Milky Way. You will not regret it and I will never skip that again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't have any suggestions to offer... but I'm sure we'd all like to see some pics of your trip when you get back. Have fun and good luck! :wavey:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure about Yellowstone, but are you going through I-90? The Bighorns are beautiful. Crazy Woman Canyon near Buffalo is cool.

Do you like whiskey? If so, check out the Wyoming Whiskey distillery near Thermopolis. It's a mighty fine bourbon! :)

If you're around Sheridan, Red Grade Road is cool, but it's a little off the beaten path.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im coming from STL, our route is 70, to 29 to pick up 80 at Lincoln, NE

Then to Cheyenne, up to Thermopolis for the Dino Museum for my daughter, then into East Yellowstone entrance. The time were there, split between the upper loop, lower loop and Grand Tetons.

Depending on how much we get accomplished, we might head out Weds instead of Thurs. Then we are up in the air on which way to head back. We just need to be home by Sept 1st and have Labor Day as a reserve day.

We were thinking of heading down into Estes to visit RMNP. Then head home on 70

I know there are no trails in Yellowstone for Jeeps, but anything off the beaten path around Tetons that offer something different.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hike the Fairy Falls Trail and climb the hill for an awesome view of Grand Prismatic, we took our five year old its kid friendly. Find a place to go out about eleven at night away from everything and look at the Milky Way. You will not regret it and I will never skip that again.
Just made note of this:thumb:

When wife and I were there in 2001, we went out to the canyon at night, the intensity of the Milky Way cant even be described. It was just as bright at the horizons as it was straight up.

Cant wait for our 8yr daughter to witness Yellowstone:)

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I suggest you say hi to yogi and boo-boo and obey the ranger. Sorry, couldn't resist...oh watch the picnic basket also.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was there last year with my Jeep and Family. There are several 4wd roads on the Yellowstone map it actually maybe on the way to the Tetons. Make sure you head to Jackson Hole via the Tetons. We took several of the off road trips on the map. Most of the roads are good and don’t need 4wd but they are marked 4wd only. We were headed to some lake ( i can’t remember the name) and that required 4wd and a few climbs that were slippery. Most of all have fun and plan on driving a lot there park is huge and bring your cameral we saw tons of animals.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm just south of you near Farmington. Enjoy your trip, I am headed to Ouray Colorado in Sept. for 12 days. I just crave going to the Rocky's...:dance:

Smitty

·
Registered
124 Posts
Take a day and go over the Beartooth pass to Red Lodge. Awesome little Montana town. Great scenery and be sure to stop at a little store on top called Top of the World. You won't regret the drive and will thoroughly enjoy Red Lodge. There is also Cooke City. The drive and switch backs were once called the most beautiful drive in America.

Reactions: Jrp267

·
Registered
325 Posts
Take plenty of pictures as you drive, you'll enjoy seeing the mountains get bigger and bigger.. at least I did (grew up in Indiana) and made that trip before (I think your path is a more pleasant drive than taking 70 all the way to denver).

I'm partial to fishing bridge.

Be sure to hit some of the touristy sites off the highway if you're looking for some oddball trinkets or souvenirs (who doesn't like a good cow patty?).

yellowstone lake was good for seeing wildlife (especially eagles).

I enjoyed the Grand canyon of yellowstone too.

I'm hoping to head out that way next year myself.

Perhaps my favorite was listening to the ranger talks. Very informative and entertaining.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I went on a motorcycle ride through Yellowstone 2 years ago.
I think this is called "artist point" and the pictures don't do it justice.
If you make the stop here you will understand why they call it YELLOWstone.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Went there 2 years ago. Fantastic scenery. Don.t forget to check out bear paw highway. Pictures can't describe the views.

·
Registered
435 Posts
We ere there two years ago, our second visit. Here's few suggestions:

Try to do the Beartooth Highway, it is awesome, as already mentioned
Drive the Blacktail Plateau Rd, it's dirt, at least once and go slow. It's where we saw a Moose
Carry Bear Spray, at least one in your party should have a canister.
Evenings either at Lamar Valley or Hamden Valle for wildlife. Lamar is far from W. Yellowstone, though
Yellowstone Trails is a very good guide book. I got one at a VC in Yellowstone
Make use of Trip Advisor for food, worked really well for us.

Win

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are some trails off the Beartooth highway. Not sure where exactly but years ago, we took one that brought you up to a glacier that had bugs frozen in it. There was an old mine up there too. Google it.

Bring FRS radios too for the Geyser basin. There are Geyser Gazers who use the radios to communicate. Very helpful & informative.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Take a day and go over the Beartooth pass to Red Lodge. Awesome little Montana town. Great scenery and be sure to stop at a little store on top called Top of the World. You won't regret the drive and will thoroughly enjoy Red Lodge. There is also Cooke City. The drive and switch backs were once called the most beautiful drive in America.
This!! Take the Chief Joseph Hwy up and go into the Park from the NE via the Beartooth! Rivals any high pass in the Rockies!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts