Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for tire now for a month. All you guys here finally talked me into trying Duratracs. So yesterday to the tire store I went. While talking to the guy at Discount tire he tell me up until a few months ago Duratrac were a go bet. He claim Goodyear has changed nothing but he tells me for several weeks now there store and many other DT stores have been unable to balance them with a lot of weight and have had many coming back for balancing again and again. Well anyone here have balancing problems?
Before I drop my money on 5 new tires.
Give it to me anyone.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
3 yrs. on my 33 12.5 15's without any issues other than a screw I had to pull and plug. Mine were a special order, I just waited 3 days for them to come into the local tire shop.

No shake, etc... I have a Aluminum rims w/the stick on wieghts and they've been fine.

Mostly, if you run into wheel weight issues either they used the wrong type for your rim/tire combo or they used stick-ons without cleaning the inside surface good enough and they fall off.

As long as the company doing it balances them correctly, with the correct style wieghts and they clean the rims really good first, you won't run into trouble regardless of the tire. Yup, in my opinion if the specific shop keeps having them come back, they need to clean the rims better before they stick the weights on.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 yrs. on my 33 12.5 15's without any issues other than a screw I had to pull and plug. Mine were a special order, I just waited 3 days for them to come into the local tire shop.

No shake, etc... I have a Aluminum rims w/the stick on wieghts and they've been fine.

Mostly, if you run into wheel weight issues either they used the wrong type for your rim/tire combo or they used stick-ons without cleaning the inside surface good enough and they fall off.

As long as the company doing it balances them correctly, with the correct style wieghts and they clean the rims really good first, you won't run into trouble regardless of the tire. Yup, in my opinion if the specific shop keeps having them come back, they need to clean the rims better before they stick the weights on.
You got them 3 years ago the problems have only been for a few months now. I should have bought them 3 years ago Oh I didn't have a jeep 3 years ago.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I had balancing issues with three different sets of 33x12.5R15 duratracs. Everyone produced a highway shimmy between 48-55mph. Many many trips to DT to have them re-balanced. Finally sold them and moved up to a 16x8 wheel. Running 305/70/16 Duratracs now with zero balancing issues. Very little weight to balance each.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had balancing issues with three different sets of 33x12.5R15 duratracs. Everyone produced a highway shimmy between 48-55mph. Many many trips to DT to have them re-balanced. Finally sold them and moved up to a 16x8 wheel. Running 305/70/16 Duratracs now with zero balancing issues. Very little weight to balance each.
I have ATX 17x8 wheels so I should be ok then?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm running 315/70-17 Duratracs since last August. No issues. The tire guy said he got the 4 on the Jeep perfect, but the spare was off by (I think he said) 1/2 an ounce. He said I shouldn't have any issues. To be safe I've just been doing a 4 tire rotation and keeping the spare as a spare.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
My first set had no issues at all (3 years ago). After 60k I replaced then in July. 33x12.50x15 went on new wheels (mine were also slightly warped). I had one balance with no weight, I had a little weight on two but nothing weird, but the 4th tire came in at 9 ounces! They tried everything to fix it, roadforce, turning, two balancing machines, but nothing worked. Since the others were so low in weight they ended up pulling it and marking it defective. The replacement tire on that wheel balanced under 3 ounces again.

I mentioned this to a friend at Goodyear and he mumbled something about water weight and factory or storage issues, I didn't care much at the time since I had it fixed and it seemed to be an isolated issue then.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
BTW this was done thru Discount Tire as well.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had trouble with a set f 315s a couple years ago. Couldn't get below 16oz on two tires and they still shook. I question the build quality at Goodyear, a full pound is a LOT.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Anybody look at the sidewall and see where they were made??

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
My wheels have tape weights around literally half the circumference of the wheels, sometimes two rows deep. The Duratracs are just like all other Goodyear tires of the past 25 years...they are ovals, not circles.

Surprisingly, however, my ride is fairly smooth. I don't have complaints...but won't be buying the same tires as replacements when I need them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts