Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in town the other day, got a chuckle out of it. Never a big fan of modern Hummers, but this one is pretty sweet looking imo. I don't know anything about their off-road abilities, I'll stick to my Jeep.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Saw this in town the other day, got a chuckle out of it. Never a big fan of modern Hummers, but this one is pretty sweet looking imo. I don't know anything about their off-road abilities, I'll stick to my Jeep.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ask him to follow you thru a trail or two and see how it does. From my understanding hummers (H2-H3) are more street vehicles than off roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
IMHO double light bars look equally horrible on a Hummer and on a Jeep :D

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
The H3 was sitting on the Colorado p/u frame. I had an H1 K-10 for a little while just "cuz" I think it was only one of 10 (or 15) built. It was actually built to be a Border Agent vehicle, even had Real Night Vision, crazy.
Thing was ridiculously HUGE. Sold it. It was just a toy anyway.

As for the H2. Almost bought one again just "cuz" had easily the MOST comfortable seats I ever sat in but after a day or two test drive I made the mistake (or thankfully) of hitting the onboard MPG and read 2.8 mpg's and asked the dealer IF that was even possible.
After listening to his B.S. I thanked him and handed him the keys.

R.I.P. Hummer (fake news/fake vehicle. Except for the H1) if you have really Big roads/trails and own an oil company.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Those two bars sticking up at an sideways angle in the center of the rack are a kayak rack, but it looks like there's so much other crap bolted on up there that you're never be able to actually fit a kayak on them. Makes me wonder how much of the rest of it is also just for show...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Aw gees haven't you heard.. the new ghost buster crew is in town making a new movie.. You're looking at the new ghost busters mobile..

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Ask him to follow you thru a trail or two and see how it does. From my understanding hummers (H2-H3) are more street vehicles than off roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends on what trail, and how the Hummer and the Jeep are setup. Hummers can go through a lot of places in stock trim, just like most Jeeps can, same for a Toyota FJC, Nissan Pro-4x, Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, etc, etc, this all came equipped with lockers and electronic traction control aids, that allows them to be more than your non-jeep offroad vehicle, and with a small lift and larger tires, they can even overcome more obstacles, not in the same fashion a Jeep can when modded to the roof, but you get the idea, Jeeps excel in most extreme trails, you can youtube videos from trails like Chocolate thunder, Claw Hammer, Wrecking Ball to see more example of what Extreme Jeep trails look like

IFS setups like the ones in the Hummer won't be as good as our live axels for certain type of offroading where rocks are included, as their lower control arms are more exposed than ours, factory vs factory, and they have more parts to scratch because of the IFS. (i've had 3 different IFS vehicles, before i convinced myself i needed a Jeep), to make IFS worth it, i will need the kind of money and parts that grant you access to the Hammer trails with an Ultra4 vehicle, and that ain't cheap :)

But to summarize, they're more capable of what you think they're, Here is a group of Hummers going up at one of our Black Diamond trails here in Socal, this is not an extreme trail like those in the Hammers here in Johnson Valley, but if you don't know how to drive, i can guarantee you will leave your factory tierrod, draglink, control arms, suspension mounts etc,etc in the ground in this trail, it will suck to be behind this group doing JB though, because those things will need to select better lines to clear obstacles, and they crawl sllooooowwww because of this, and sometimes that means waiting the entire day for them to go up, but they'll go up..., they're definitely not onroad vehicles in the way you think they're.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2g91-oi4wo

·
Registered
598 Posts
I owned an '08 H3 for a few years. Very capable vehicle that can run with the best of them right off the showroom floor with the factory lockers and advanced electronic braking system. It would perform nearly as good as my '05 rubi on most trails and had a lot more comfort around town.

The H3 was way more capable off-road than the H2.

The R&D they put into that vehicle was nothing short of amazing.

There's a book on the development of the H3 by Larry Edsall that is enlightening. They took a bunch of test mule H3's over the Rubicon Trail multiple times during development and kept upgrading parts until they were satisfied it would be ready for that kind of wheeling in stock form.

The GM bailout killed off the Hummer line which is kind of a shame as they had some pretty cool stuff lined up for future production.
The only downside I had with owning an H3 was the blinged-out versions they started selling toward the end of the run in an attempt to attract urban buyers. Absolutely killed the brand imho.

Lots of YouTube vid's out there of bone stock H3's tackling some of the better known trails such as Hell's Gate.

I love my Jeeps, but I was also thoroughly impressed with my H3.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The H3 was sitting on the Colorado p/u frame. I had an H1 K-10 for a little while just "cuz" I think it was only one of 10 (or 15) built. It was actually built to be a Border Agent vehicle, even had Real Night Vision, crazy.
Thing was ridiculously HUGE. Sold it. It was just a toy anyway.

As for the H2. Almost bought one again just "cuz" had easily the MOST comfortable seats I ever sat in but after a day or two test drive I made the mistake (or thankfully) of hitting the onboard MPG and read 2.8 mpg's and asked the dealer IF that was even possible.
After listening to his B.S. I thanked him and handed him the keys.

R.I.P. Hummer (fake news/fake vehicle. Except for the H1) if you have really Big roads/trails and own an oil company.
:jawdrop:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts