Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2016 Hard rock 2 door that I just added 33's and new wheels with a 4.5" back space.

Attached is an image of the jeep.

Everything seems good from what I have been reading and from all accounts, no lift was suggested.

Needless to say, I went out for some fun yesterday and on a semi rough forest road in the mountains, every time I hit a ditch, the rear tires rubbed against the fender flares.

So my dilemma is, I like the height and look of the vehicle. But should I get the Mopar 2 inch lift or different flares. I just don't want that rubbing when I go off road. Do I need anything else besides one of the mentioned 2 options ?

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Depends. If you want to keep the stock fenders, do a lift. If you don't mind getting rid of them do flats. Depending on the fenders you get, this could be the cheaper route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
Nice pic but not very helpful with the rear/how close it is

If you want budget friendly add a leveling spacer kit and call it a day.

I like the rake so I run a 1" teraflex spacer in the rear and a 1/2" in the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts

I like the rake so I run a 1" teraflex spacer in the rear and a 1/2" in the front.

1" both ends couldn't edit other post...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. here is a side view.

Looking at the mopar 2 inch kit. ordered one last night but the wrong one. So I need to cancel Monday morning and rethink this whole enchilada thing.

Last thing I want is instability since it's a daily driver and I do 80 MPH frequently. It's also a toy on the weekends :) So I need the best of both worlds.

Attachments

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I would suggest a good 2.5 lift. Teraflex, Rock Krawler are both terrific options. There are others too.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Either higher clearance fenders or a lift. You gotta decide if you want more height or just want wheel clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been thinking about getting some four door springs for a slight lift on my two door. Might try to find some Recon springs if you don't want to go too high.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
If you are rubbing now, a leveling kit or longer springs will not fix it. You need to add bump stops... Longer springs or spacers do not limit your up travel.

Reactions: chitown35

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are rubbing now, a leveling kit or longer springs will not fix it. You need to add bump stops... Longer springs or spacers do not limit your up travel.
That makes sense.
I have a follow-up question: Would a lift (longer springs) allow you to run less bump stop? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
That makes sense.
I have a follow-up question: Would a lift (longer springs) allow you to run less bump stop? Thank you.
Longer springs raise ride height which gives room for some additional bump stop. You shouldn't need more that 1" with those tires.

Did you confirm where it was rubbing?

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Longer springs raise ride height which gives room for some additional bump stop. You shouldn't need more that 1" with those tires.

Did you confirm where it was rubbing?
Which all amounts to the same thing as cutting the offending flares (which is pretty close to free)

@op
If you want bigger tires then you shouldn't be running the flares. It's as simple as that. With a lift (no increased stops) you will still have possibility to hit the flares (it'll always be haunting you in the back of the mind every time you're on the trails).

With an increased bump stop you're more or less rendering part of your lift useless. You get the added height but you lose the added travel.

Cutting the flares out not only solves the problem cheaply and effectively, but it also ends up LOOKING lifted without actually lifting.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Which all amounts to the same thing as cutting the offending flares (which is pretty close to free)

@op
If you want bigger tires then you shouldn't be running the flares. It's as simple as that. With a lift (no increased stops) you will still have possibility to hit the flares (it'll always be haunting you in the back of the mind every time you're on the trails).

With an increased bump stop you're more or less rendering part of your lift useless. You get the added height but you lose the added travel.

Cutting the flares out not only solves the problem cheaply and effectively, but it also ends up LOOKING lifted without actually lifting.
With a proper lift, even at 1.5" and longer shocks, you do not lose travel, in fact you gain travel.

Although, I agree that flats are a great option if added travel isn't important. I don't care for trimmed fenders though... I'll spend a few bucks to get nice tube fenders.

Reactions: RubiconSS

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ok. here is a side view.

Looking at the mopar 2 inch kit. ordered one last night but the wrong one. So I need to cancel Monday morning and rethink this whole enchilada thing.

Last thing I want is instability since it's a daily driver and I do 80 MPH frequently. It's also a toy on the weekends :) So I need the best of both worlds.
The Mopar 2 inch kit will make the ride better. I have it on my Jeep and the only difference I notice is it's a little harder to get in.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
With a proper lift, even at 1.5" and longer shocks, you do not lose travel, in fact you gain travel.

Although, I agree that flats are a great option if added travel isn't important. I don't care for trimmed fenders though... I'll spend a few bucks to get nice tube fenders.
To each their own I guess. I looked at the tube fenders and don't like them. I'm in the same boat as the OP. Got bigger wheels coming (34 inch) and I just have a 2 inch leveling kit on now with no want to go much higher... so I'll be cutting the fenders when they come.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts

Interesting... most don't like the rake.

I did 2 inches in the front and 1 in the back bearing in mind that 2 inches is about as high as you can go without getting into correcting alignment issues.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts