Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the bright idea to rent a Wrangler in Maui, big mistake.

I should have known that having a different driver every week with most of them having no idea how to lower a soft top or remove/reinstall/care of the freedom panels is not going to good news for the Jeep.

at the rental agency, we saw people lowering the soft top without removing the rear window nor folding up the side sail panels. the must have removed the side windows because I don't think the top would retract with that done.
anyway the tops on the 2 and 4 door sit very high when folder this way and flap and billow when driving. It is horrifying for the typical Jeep owner to see,

The Freedom panels on the hard tops look like they've been tossed into an industrial rock tumbler. They are all scratched and beaten up. I think people remove them and just toss them into the back of the Jeep with no protection from the jostling when driving.

We wanted a 2-door soft top, none available (someone needs to instruct the agency on the meaning of reservation - it means you are supposed to get what you were promised, otherwise, why have a reservation system). We took a hard top instead, transmission sounded damaged in 2 or 3rd gear but drove. Then is started raining, TS Flossie, and guess what, the hard top leaked! At that point I cut my losses, when to the agency and exchanged for a car. Bad experience, don't do this if you are a Jeep owner - too painful

also, as a side note, Jeep seem to be almost tourist only in Maui, that and convertible Mustangs. The locals drive small Toyota 4WD pickups, I was told primarily because of the gas mileage.

I love my Jeep, but will never rent one again in these circumstances.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You're Soooo Correct

We were in Maui in Feb. of this year. Same thing happened. We were fortunate to get a Jeep. I had reservations for something else and when we got there, of course, not available. They gave us a Jeep JKU hardtop. I said OK. They helped us take the top off and just threw them in the back.

The one thing I can say about renting this Jeep. We had so much fun in it, when we got home, we bought one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guess I'll keep my Ford fusion (or similar) and use the $1000 for mai tais instead. Good timing on this post, i leave Monday for kona! Thank you

·
Registered
583 Posts
My god, it's a rental vehicle.

I take excellent care of my vehicles, but all bets are off when it's a rental vehicle. I don't care what happens to it.

And that is true of the majority of people that rent vehicles. That is also why I would never buy a used rental of any kind.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hence the reason I would never buy a used rental vehicle. People beat the crap out of them.

And yes Toyota trucks are the favorite among locals. A buddy of mine lives there and he has a Jeep. When I visit, the Jeep wave is painful since most people in the rentals don't know about it. :nonono:

·
Registered
590 Posts
My god, it's a rental vehicle.

I take excellent care of my vehicles, but all bets are off when it's a rental vehicle. I don't care what happens to it.

And that is true of the majority of people that rent vehicles. That is also why I would never buy a used rental of any kind.
I take good care of any vehicle I drive. I know I am in the minority but please don't ask to borrow any vehicle of mine, lawnmower, chainsaw, dirt bike, jet ski, push broom etc.

There is no reason to thrash something just because it isn't yours.

NC

·
Registered
583 Posts
I take good care of any vehicle I drive. I know I am in the minority but please don't ask to borrow any vehicle of mine, lawnmower, chainsaw, dirt bike, jet ski, push broom etc.

NC
There is a difference here. If I borrow anything from anyone it's usually returned in the same condition or better. We rent a lot of high end vacation homes for our vacations and we treat them in the same manner.

I think the difference is that if I borrow something, or rent a vacation home it's owned by an individual. Rental cars are large corporations.

May not justified, but that's my reasoning.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I rented a wrangler for 10 days in Maui in March and it was a 2012 in very good shape and low miles. It was a hard top and the freedom panels were scratched and I inquired about making sure that I did not get dinged for it when returning it. They laughed and said as long as panels come back you are ok.

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts

NC
The exact reason I don't loan out tools, much less anything else. The last time I loaned out something, I had to go retrieve it because they didn't bring it back.

This is a value that's taught when young. My dad would never tolerate disrespecting other peoples property.

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Rental Wranglers from car rental companies are rode hard and put up wet.
I rented one from an airport rental company a few years ago and for only being 1 year old, that thing was rough. You could not see at all out of the rear or side windows they had so many micro scratches the were opaque.
The only exception was the rental companies in MOAB warn you not to bring it back with the paint or windows scratched up, and then proceed to check it over with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My parents bought an '89 Cavalier back in 1991 from Budget Rentals. It was one of the best and most reliable cars we ever owned. In 1996 they gave it to me and I drove it until 1998 when I bought my '99 Dodge Ram. That car didn't even have a speck of rust on it when I traded it. It would go through snow like a little tank!

·
Registered
54 Posts
We were in Maui in Feb. of this year. Same thing happened. We were fortunate to get a Jeep. I had reservations for something else and when we got there, of course, not available. They gave us a Jeep JKU hardtop. I said OK. They helped us take the top off and just threw them in the back.

The one thing I can say about renting this Jeep. We had so much fun in it, when we got home, we bought one.

I did the same after renting a jeep in Cozumel. Enjoyed it so much that I bought one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also rented a 2012 JKU hard top in Maui this year. I didn't even care to take the top off. Windows down was all good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the same after renting a jeep in Cozumel. Enjoyed it so much that I bought one.
Yeah, we did too. We rented a jeep in Sedona, AZ this April and just had to have one of our own. We bought a jku 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In 2008 I rented a JKU in Maui. It had 20k miles and was beat on. It ran good though. The tailgate was bent on top from people trying to close it with the rear window improperly fastened. There were strict instructions to not take it off road. Also, the transfer case shifter was modified so that it could not be shifted into 4WD. Don't know why they didn't just get 2WD ones for the rental fleet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts