Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 JKU "uses" approx 1qt per 3000 miles..confirmed by Jeep service dept.
Has anyone changed oil weights/ additives to help with this? I am approaching 98,000 miles and wondering if i should go to a high mileage oil or stay w/ SAE recommended weight.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have a 4 dr 07, 40K miles, 6 spd.. Mine uses oil big time but I slowed it down quite a bit by changing to the HIGH MILAGE VEHICLE oil (Penz brand)...I do not use any STP or other additives.
I am using 10W-30.... No problems... Still uses oil but lots less than It did when I bought it.
Some here say changing to Synthetic will stop the oil usage....
Some say that by using SEA FOAM the oil usage stops completely....
I plan to take the Jeep on a road trip in a week ,to the grand canyon, we;ll see how much oil it uses for sure on a long trip. I'm also thinking of changing the oil to a straight 30 weight RPM Delo-400....We'll see how it likes that.
There are lots of threads here about the 3.8L using oil. I have read that the piston rings were installed in the Mexican engines wrong.... I have read that the intake manifold gasket is leaking .... That the PCV is at fault....Bad Break in....all kinds of theories .
I have read about 3.8L engines using oil on the other forums like the mini van forums, some there found help with new and different part number PCV valves...But the "fix" was only temporary....
Looks like your on your own, just experiment and see what you come up with.
Certainly changing oil to a more common industry standard like 10w-30 or even a 30 wt. isn't going to ruin anything... Other engines been running that oil for years....
Good luck !..... "BH"

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sea Foam cleans oil passages and frees up sticky rings and carbon deposits. Definitely works just add it right before a oil change as your oil instantly becomes extremely dirty.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Have you checked the compression in each cylinder? A quart in 3,000 miles is normal in an engine from the 1960s or 1970s, but excessive today. Engines from that era had wider mechanical tolerances than today's engines and using oils specified in that era is not a good idea with modern engines. It can cause internal damage.

Going to higher viscosity oils is going to make the engine worker harder to pump the oil, lower fuel economy, promote engine wear as the weather gets colder and the new oil resists flow during warm up, etc. Putting in additives or using magic cleaners will do nothing to solve worn piston rings, poor valve seating and wear, or other mechanical problems.

To permanently solve the problem, see a tech about the mechanical issue/s that your JKU is having. Anything else is treating the symptoms and wasting money.

Good luck and I hope the repair is inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
This is normal, but that doesn't make it right. IIRC, there is a TSB out there regarding realistic oil usage expectation that says it's OK as long as it's less than a quart every 1000 miles. Each of the theories BH mentioned other than bad break in is supported by a TSB from Chrysler. It may not be for the Wrangler, but it is for another platform using the same engine and applies to the Jeeps just as readily as the others.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Have you checked the compression in each cylinder? A quart in 3,000 miles is normal in an engine from the 1960s or 1970s, but excessive today. Engines from that era had wider mechanical tolerances than today's engines and using oils specified in that era is not a good idea with modern engines. It can cause internal damage.

Going to higher viscosity oils is going to make the engine worker harder to pump the oil, lower fuel economy, promote engine wear as the weather gets colder and the new oil resists flow during warm up, etc. Putting in additives or using magic cleaners will do nothing to solve worn piston rings, poor valve seating and wear, or other mechanical problems.

To permanently solve the problem, see a tech about the mechanical issue/s that your JKU is having. Anything else is treating the symptoms and wasting money.

Good luck and I hope the repair is inexpensive.
X2

Don't try to put a bandaid on a bullet wound. Find out where/why the oil is going.
A higher viscosity oil can make a few problems turn catostrophic.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Not use any of it, it's snake oil. No manufacturer recommends any of it.
I like the above post that said putting a bandaid on a bullet wound

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the replies...i did call my local Jeep service dept. and they said it is considered "normal usage". i will try 10 w30. there are no spots on driveway or on skid plate,etc.
i had an 04 volvo s60R 300hp that had same issue, and dealer said same thing...they don't "burn" oil..they "use" oil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts