Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Wrangler w/ 6.0 automatic trans.

Ever since I've owned it when I do oil change or take it for a quicky, if 6 qts are put in (which is what it calls for) it is overfilled on the dipstick.

When I do it or take it to the guy I would normally use, we use about 5.5 qts and it is on +/- full on the dipstick. He's a certified mechanic and he has no idea why it would do that.

I wonder if it is the dipstick - if that's the case then I'm always low...

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have a 02 tj and it take 5, i know my user name says 03 but i messed up and i don't know how to change it

·
Registered
455 Posts
I add 5.5 qts (5 oil and .5 zddp additive)

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
The volume of oil that a particular engine will "hold" is totally and completely irrelevant.

"Why, shazamm, Goober. I done got 10 quarts in this thang, and it ain't even filled up yet!!!"

I think he meant the cylinders.. not the size.
I see…exactly 6.0 cylinders. No more, no less.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Regardless of the what the dipstick is showing, the 4.0L engine holds 6 quarts.
I have 2 Jeeps,both 4.0 & 6 qts fills them every time.I dont even ck it when Im done.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I always run 6 US quarts with a Mopar or Balwin filter and they are big, OEM size filters and hold quite a bit of oil. I don't pay much attention to the dipstick unless it's reading lower than full.

I see…exactly 6.0 cylinders. No more, no less.
Maybe it's rounded to 2 significant digits because no one wants to write 6.000327 cylinders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts