Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple days ago I got out of the Jeep and I passed by the rear left tire and smelled a strong oily smell. Looked under the Jeep and see that the rear pinion seal is leaking. Great. Smell around the entire Jeep to make sure that's the smell and I couldn't find the smell except inbetween the fender flare and the left rear tire so I'm pretty sure it's not the rear pinion that I smell. Not totally sure though because I haven't had the time to get under the jeep yet. My friend says it smells like burning rubber but it definitely has an oily smell. Lastly I've checked a couple more times and the smell occurs after driving around even for just 5 min. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Couple days ago I got out of the Jeep and I passed by the rear left tire and smelled a strong oily smell. Looked under the Jeep and see that the rear pinion seal is leaking. Great. Smell around the entire Jeep to make sure that's the smell and I couldn't find the smell except inbetween the fender flare and the left rear tire so I'm pretty sure it's not the rear pinion that I smell. Not totally sure though because I haven't had the time to get under the jeep yet. My friend says it smells like burning rubber but it definitely has an oily smell. Lastly I've checked a couple more times and the smell occurs after driving around even for just 5 min. Any ideas what this could be?
You should check your brake fluid as there could possibly be a brake cylinder leak inside your wheel drum.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Only way to tell is crawl underneath and look. When my front pinion seal went out it was a strong smell, I could even get whiffs of it at cruising speed. And gear oil has a very distinct smell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts