Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool video- https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...es-it-work-and-why-doesnt-every-car-have-one/

This video only shows where the PCV is located: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54504-Is-there-any-write-ups-for-PCV-valve-on-a-3-6-Pentastar

This second video also shows a device on the camshaft that separates the oil from the air before being sucked out of the valve cover.

There are some quotes of Pentastar V6 owners (maybe not jeep owners) that up to 3 ounces per oil change schedule. That's a lot of oil being burned, in my mind.

So, before I go researching this further and buying something I may not need, What are the opinions (and I'm sure there are plenty, one per person as the saying goes)...

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Cool video- https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...es-it-work-and-why-doesnt-every-car-have-one/

This video only shows where the PCV is located: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54504-Is-there-any-write-ups-for-PCV-valve-on-a-3-6-Pentastar

This second video also shows a device on the camshaft that separates the oil from the air before being sucked out of the valve cover.

There are some quotes of Pentastar V6 owners (maybe not jeep owners) that up to 3 ounces per oil change schedule. That's a lot of oil being burned, in my mind.

So, before I go researching this further and buying something I may not need, What are the opinions (and I'm sure there are plenty, one per person as the saying goes)...
If you think about it how many gallons of gas are being burned between oil changes? somewhere around 51200 ounces if you change at 6000 miles and get 15 mpg.

industry standards used to be considerably higher than that. I owned BMW motorcycles that BMW said 1 quart in 1000 miles was normal.

I did run a catch can on my high compression Harley twin cams because it made me feel good but not sure if there really was a benefit in the long run. Blow by that was contained did always look nasty but appeared to be mostly water.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Oil catch cans are a worth while addition to a GDI engine to help reduce "carbon build up" on the intake valves. On a MPI or carberated engine no advantage what so ever. Same after mkt. hype as CAI and many oil and fuel additives, save your money.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Oil catch cans are a worth while addition to a GDI engine to help reduce "carbon build up" on the intake valves. On a MPI or carberated engine no advantage what so ever. Same after mkt. hype as CAI and many oil and fuel additives, save your money.
Exactly, not so much a worry on MPI engines. The PCV on the 3,2/3.6 Pentastar is on the back of rightside exhaust cam, quite a unique but reliable system.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Y'all!

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
Thanks Y'all!
There’s a few threads on catch cans for the 3.6L — a few have installed them but I’ve only seen one response showing they had an out-of-body experience.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/oil-catch-can-2346653.html

I installed one on my 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 — had to make sure I checked the can frequently. Having one with a valve to drain the can is more desirable... would I install one on my Pentastar?

Nope.

·
Registered
897 Posts
...To the point that GM added one internally when they designed the 3.6L V6 LGZ. (It drains into the oil pan.)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I don't know about the older 3.6, but I watched a video about the JL 3.6 blowing smoke if you get stuck at steep angles while off-roading. The catch can keeps the smoke from happening.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
I was considering it. After talking to a few people I respect as automotive techs I decided it wasn't worth it for the 3.6L, especially while under warranty.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
I don't know about the older 3.6, but I watched a video about the JL 3.6 blowing smoke if you get stuck at steep angles while off-roading. The catch can keeps the smoke from happening.
This is where the smoke is coming from... PCV valve seal at the end of the camshaft (see attached photo).

David Pike, MotorCity Mechanic explains in his YouTube video that was linked in that Wayalife thread.

Fast forward to 10:50...

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
If I had the room for one I would be running it. I have had the intake off twice now each time I have to clean it up because of all the dirty crap inside it, all from the PCV system, oil, acids and the like. I would just prefer a clean intake.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts