Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone laughs, I have never learned how to change my own oil, my father passed away at 42 before I learned that rite of driving and maintaining a vehicle.

Now I'm 38...and own a Jeep again. It's time to learn, right? Hey, if I can teach my son how, I'll feel better about it doing it myself.

So, now that is said, is it hard to do? I've read many many threads here as well as Stu off road and jeep us 41, it looks really really easy, and I want to try it AFTER my scheduled and free oil change before I go on vacation.

I know what to buy, have an idea on the oil type, filter, and what type of air filter to get, but something always worries me when I open up the hood.

:surrender:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Get either a good set of jacks or drive-on ramps weight rated for trucks. Get underneath it and find the drain plug on the oil pan [not the transmission pan]. Pull plug and let the oil drain fully into your drain pan [get one that has a cap on it so that it doesn't spill out when moving the pan around]. Remove the oil filter, may take a couple good tugs to break it loose. A oil filter wrench would be a good buy at the parts store. Some filters have a nut built in to the bottom to fit a crescent wrench on. Wipe away any oil that spilled on the engine and seal from the filter area. Pour a little oil into the new filter and rub a little on the seal before installing it. Replace the oil pan plug. Pour in new oil from the valve cover filler cap. And you're done.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Easy easy. Very easy.

Lithium's got the basics. My only comment is that you actually don't need the jacks/ramps. Nothing wrong with them of course, it's just that Wranglers sit high enough that you can just lay down and reach under the Jeep to get it done.

Run a quick Google search to turn up some generic "how to" guides, like this one. The procedure is basically the same. Just make sure you positively identify the relevant items--oil pan and oil filter being the proper objects.

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
Make sure that when you take the old filter off, the seal comes with it. If it is left on the engine, your new filter won't seal properly. Believe it or not, used to happen at the dealership where I worked.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
You can do this. I did. For the first time in over 30 years. The only thing that went wrong, was spilled oil - and that only because I bought a nice little neat container for draining the oil into, then transporting to dispose of. And I failed to negotiate the correct distance of the initial out pour when I pulled the plug. I WILL have a large oil pan next time, and just pour it into the transport container when done.

Have some cat litter on hand to clean up any spill (learned that hear from daggo(???)(can't remember the numbers))

This might be of some help...

:wavey:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just be careful. I did my first oil change on my Jeep today. All went well until I went to take the filter off. Someone at the factory really wanted to make sure my filter was on there tight. I tried a filter wrench and it wouldn't work, pounded a screwdriver through it to turn it off and it didn't work, wound up having to use a pipe wrench from the neighbor to get it off. The one I replaced it with should come off easier next time, lol.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Just be careful. I did my first oil change on my Jeep today. All went well until I went to take the filter off. Someone at the factory really wanted to make sure my filter was on there tight. I tried a filter wrench and it wouldn't work, pounded a screwdriver through it to turn it off and it didn't work, wound up having to use a pipe wrench from the neighbor to get it off. The one I replaced it with should come off easier next time, lol.
They make these neat little 1/4 cup shaped thingys that just fit on the end of the filter, and go up about an inch. You attach your socket to the end of it.... voile' it comes off soooooo easy. The oldstyle kind don't fit well in there...
Edited to add: The Mopar filter uses a different sized one than the Mobil 1 filter does.... iow they aren't adjustable

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very easy to do. You don't need any jacks or lifts. Plenty of room underneath, and then some. Be sure to get yourself an oil pan with a pouring spout on it. Makes for easy transfer of the used oil to a milk jug or the replacement oil jug. Walmart takes up to 5 gallons at a time of used oil when you are ready to dispose.

When you place your oil pan under the oil plug and ready to drain, place it a little further to the back of the vehicle, and when you remove the oil drain plug, the oil shoots out pretty good. If your pan is directly underneath, you could miss your pan and get a good half quart on the ground before you have time to move it. Removing the filler cap will make the oil flow out faster.

Regarding the filter, loosen up a bit, then use a gallon sized zip lock bag to place completely over/ around the filter, zip up as much as possible, and the bag will catch most if not all of the oil to make the process less messy. I do this with my Harley as well, and works like a champ. Fram oil filters have a grip on the bottom of them so that you can twist off easier next time around.

Don't forget to slightly wet the rubber gasket of the new filter with your new oil before screwing back on. I place a small bit of White Teflon tape on the oil drain plug threads to ensure no leaks.

I believe the drain plug takes a 1/2 inch socket.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Since everyone covered the oil change I'll add my two cents.

Use the blue rubber gloves if you want to keep your hands clean (auto parts stores sell them). Get a citrus spray cleaner since you are going to get dirty anyway and it eats the oil like magic.

Always use your fingers and hands to put in the drain plug and oil filter. Novices will usually put the drain plug in the socket and thread it on that way; you will cross thread the plug causing major issues. Put in one 1/2 quart less than engine requires, run for 1 to 2 minutes, turn off, check for leaks around drain plug and filter, and fill to the proper level using the dipstick (Check dipstick on level ground.)

Always put on the oil fill cap before running engine (common mistake for noobs and makes a really big mess).

Buy a torque wrench for the drain plug or be extremely careful about giving it that last turn to make sure it's tight.

Recycle your used oil.

Enjoy your accomplishment and next jeep maintenance job would changing your spark plugs.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Our JK is the easiest vehicle I've ever changed motor oil in.
A couple other tips, because weird crap happens. When you purchase the oil filter, open the box and make sure it has the o-ring. When you remove your old oil filter, make sure the o-ring is still on the filter and not stuck to the engine block. Two o-rings don't seal better than one!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The pentastar is even easier, you still drain the oil from the oil pan below but the filter is now a paper cartridge and driops in the top of the motor.

Unlike the old filter that dripped atop the axle, the new filter comes out almost empty, and can be dropped in a ziploc bag without a drop.

·
Registered
581 Posts
As the oil change PDF said be sure to remove the oil filter first to allow for proper draining of used oil.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How much oil does it hold?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
On the 3.8, the oil is going to shoot out 2 to 3 feet when you remove the plug. Make sure your pan sit that far back and be ready to slide it forward as the oil drains. Old fashioned, non clumping kitty litter workd wonders for soaking up spills and is very cheap. Leave it for a day and then just sweep it up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts