Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

We're due for our first oil change on our 2017. I think we have a free one coming. But, for the future, do we have to keep going to the dealer to maintain warranty coverage? We got the extended warranty on top of the base one.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
All I can give you is my single anecdotal perspective.

My 2014 engine ate a valve seat and then stuck a con-rod through the side of the block last year at 15,000 miles. I was 2000 miles from home. I was 12 miles from a roadhead in the wastelands around Moab.

Jeep flatbedded it to Grand Junction, put a new motor (longblock) in it, then shipped it back to ATL for me, all on their dime.

I had never used a dealer for oil changes -- do them myself. I can change the oil in the Jeep faster than I can walk from my local dealer's crummy, smelly, overcrowded, 3rd-world service department to their low-budget, vending-machine-laden, blaring-television, screaming kids waiting room.

The question of oil changes never came up during the warranty process. And mind you, this was at a distant dealership with whom I had no relationship and no possibility of ever giving them any future business, unless my motor blows up in Moab again. :)

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
Hey folks,

We're due for our first oil change on our 2017. I think we have a free one coming. But, for the future, do we have to keep going to the dealer to maintain warranty coverage? We got the extended warranty on top of the base one.

Thanks!
You can do any of your own routine maintenance and it will not jeopardize your warranty as long as you save the receipts of any parts and things you buy to do the work. I have a large folder with all that stuff and I also keep a MS Word maintenance log on my computer with the date and current mileage of anything that ever gets done to our JK.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
My local dealer does my oil changes. Yes, I do sit in the waiting room for a bit, but I also prowl the lot and the showroom and visit with my salesman (unless he has a customer). But then I have purchased 5 vehicles there in the last 12 years so am familiar with most of the staff. The price is reasonable and I don't have to try to dispose of the oil and filter. Plus, should there be an issue, they have all the records of the maintenance on the computer.

There are some threads on here about dealers being picky about non OEM filters, but that could have been the 3.8L. But if the dealer provides all the service you are covered.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I do what rgreen65 does. I get my oil changed at the dealership and use the visit as an opportunity to browse the new models in the showroom and around the lot. (My dealer has a neat Viper on display in the showroom right now).

But, as mentioned above, you don't need to have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I change it myself. I use Mopar filters, quality oil, track it in a spreadsheet, and keep all the receipts. I go overboard on the documentation so each oil change or service has it's own sheet with a picture of the materials used sitting on the bumper so I can capture the license plate. I also list all the service activities that go along with the oil change. The sheet is printed out then signed and dated. I even staple the side of the box that the oil filter came in to the sheet. I figure if something happens I'll have more then enough documentation.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Hey folks,

Thanks!
Actually this practice has been against the law for many, many years. Now your extended warranty could stipulate otherwise and you really need to read the fine print on that warranty.

·
Registered
454 Posts
All I can give you is my single anecdotal perspective.

My 2014 engine ate a valve seat and then stuck a con-rod through the side of the block last year at 15,000 miles. I was 2000 miles from home. I was 12 miles from a roadhead in the wastelands around Moab.

Jeep flatbedded it to Grand Junction, put a new motor (longblock) in it, then shipped it back to ATL for me, all on their dime.

I had never used a dealer for oil changes -- do them myself. I can change the oil in the Jeep faster than I can walk from my local dealer's crummy, smelly, overcrowded, 3rd-world service department to their low-budget, vending-machine-laden, blaring-television, screaming kids waiting room.

The question of oil changes never came up during the warranty process. And mind you, this was at a distant dealership with whom I had no relationship and no possibility of ever giving them any future business, unless my motor blows up in Moab again. :)

I see your JK has some mods, did you get any grief for any of them during the warranty process?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I look at it this way, if your dealership tries to hassle you over who/where changes your oil, you need to find another dealership. Now I understand obvious exceptions, like my brother in law that changed the oil like twice in his Ram and blew the Hemi up at a little over 100k miles!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is recommended to keep the receipts if you change it yourself. I buy filters 4-5 at a time, and oil in 5 gallon pails, so not sure what the receipts will prove.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My local dealer does my oil changes. Yes, I do sit in the waiting room for a bit, but I also prowl the lot and the showroom and visit with my salesman (unless he has a customer). But then I have purchased 5 vehicles there in the last 12 years so am familiar with most of the staff. The price is reasonable and I don't have to try to dispose of the oil and filter. Plus, should there be an issue, they have all the records of the maintenance on the computer.

There are some threads on here about dealers being picky about non OEM filters, but that could have been the 3.8L. But if the dealer provides all the service you are covered.
Used to do this. But now I'm trying to be more in touch with "my baby". I'm going to take advantage of the 4 free ones I got from the Jeep wave program first though. I even went as far to have my dealership install my fumoto valve for me, and they were happy to do it.

I am a document freak, so I scan and save everything related to my vehicles. I still have my 2000 and 2003 Jeep records on file.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I see your JK has some mods, did you get any grief for any of them during the warranty process?
Nope. Service manager at Grand Junction asked me (over phone) what happened. I told him (driving along a sandy road inside of Arches NP), he called back a few days later to say it ate a valve seat and they had ordered a new long block. A few weeks later I got a call from Jeep (not dealer) saying it was on a car carrier in Atlanta and where was a nearby shopping center parking lot where we could meet. Other than some funny calls with English-not-first-or-second-language CSRs to ask about progress, no other conversations.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I do almost all my own work.

The only times I had to take it to a dealer was for recall/warranty work, or something I really could not handle on my own.

Oil changing is really easy for me, and I'd imagine as long as you don't overfill/underfill the oil, you should be valid in warranty.

·
Registered
904 Posts
IF your dealer is saying you must use them for oil changes is your warrantee through JEEP or is it a contract thats exclusive to that dealership? If its thru jeep you can do it yourself or anywhere. To not cover you they would have to show engine wear by oil change neglect, gummed up motor, etc... not if you have a receipt or not, this is illogical. Say you get your oil changed today and you then decide to drain the oil and run it till it locks up to be an extreme example... do you think they will note all the other signs and deny your BS claim, or take your receipt for an oil change and hand you a new engine fully installed .... common sense here people. if its major they are gonna look at it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I buy several Mopar filters online at a time, buy my oil of choice at Walmart and do it myself. I keep the lid with part number off of each filter box and receipt for oil with the mileage written on the box top in a little coupon thing in my console.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nope. Service manager at Grand Junction asked me (over phone) what happened. I told him (driving along a sandy road inside of Arches NP), he called back a few days later to say it ate a valve seat and they had ordered a new long block. A few weeks later I got a call from Jeep (not dealer) saying it was on a car carrier in Atlanta and where was a nearby shopping center parking lot where we could meet. Other than some funny calls with English-not-first-or-second-language CSRs to ask about progress, no other conversations.
Good to know that mod friendly dealers are out there, its just a matter of finding them and sticking with them. Ive heard plenty of stories of warranties being voided due to obviously unrelated items.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
BMW's Mini autos tried to claim that non-approved dealer oil changes would void their "warranty" and they began to deny timing belt repair claims stemming from an engineering design flaw.

BMW got sued - Joshua Skeen, et al. v. BMW of North America LLC, Case No. 2:13-cv-1531, in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. They [BMW] lost and are having to shell out cash for repairs and reimburse those who paid previously.

Courts nationwide have ruled that where you get your oil changed is unimportant as long as the oil, the filter [gaskets, etc.] meet or exceed factory specs. Your warranty will hold up.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Good question ; buy warranty later

Good question about maintenance : (a) re: extended warranty , fca begins on the date you purchased the warranty , thus you could have bought warranty up to 3 years into ownership , and warranty will begin Later , so , you would have had up to 3 extra years on the warranty ; (b) I used to do oil change myself before I became more disabled , now I take Jeep Only to experienced independent mechanic , whom I Know and trust ; Unlike to the stealership service which deceptively sells 'extended' warranty which actually begins on the day purchased ; (c) I found out that I can later buy an extended warranty from my trusted auto insurance company , and which warranty is known and trusted by my independent mechanic , might be a better choice for me since I do not trust local dealers . In any event , I am soooo Happy with the Pentastar engine ; (d) If I trusted my local stealership , I would happily buy a fca warranty before the 3 years are up , but unfortunately I do not trust the local stealership at all .:bop:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, thanks guys, these are some good ideas! Our extended warranty is through Jeep, not a specific dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts