Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've learned that the 3.8 L eats oil I put in about a quart every 1000 to 1500 mi. I do run full synthetic 10w30. I was a technician for ford for about eight years. And I almost feel silly asking this question but what's the point of changing my oil if I add oil every thousand miles could I just replaced the filter every 5000 miles. Is there anybody out there who's doing this

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You should feel silly. :) You already know the answer since you have experience. Seriously, without getting into the chemistry and possible powertrain warranty issues, since you're always adding fresh oil to used oil you're not getting the protection as you would with a normal oil change. I would change the oil and filter, not to exceed Chrysler specs for a 3.8. Anytime sooner than that is up to you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha. And that's why I wrote that. I know better. I am new to jeeps though. And I was a bit set back by acceptable levels of oil consumption after I researched it. Just didn't know if it was a common practice. Thanks for info

·
Registered
269 Posts
Haha. And that's why I wrote that. I know better. I am new to jeeps though. And I was a bit set back by acceptable levels of oil consumption after I researched it. Just didn't know if it was a common practice. Thanks for info
Some 3.8's guzzle oil. Mine is a little bit better than yours (about 1qt every 3k) but still alarming compared to almost any other vehicle on the road IMO. If memory serves the recommended oil is 5w-20 but I run full-synth 5w-30 which seems to help with the oil consumption.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If you haven't done it already swap out your PCV. That has helped with 3.8's that consume oil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also thought that was a little high for oil consumption I don't have any drivability issues or any smoke and I don't have any coldstart issues either. Jeep says that over 50,000 miles between 750 and 1000 miles to burn a quart is acceptable. This is on the 3.8

·
Registered
269 Posts
I also thought that was a little high for oil consumption I don't have any drivability issues or any smoke and I don't have any coldstart issues either. Jeep says that over 50,000 miles between 750 and 1000 miles to burn a quart is acceptable. This is on the 3.8
I've read the same. By that logic your Jeep could burn through 4qts of oil in 3000 miles and that would be perfectly okay. In my opinion 2/3 of my oil disappearing between changes is cause for alarm.

I just can't believe that all the soccer moms driving around in their Town & Countrys have a quart of oil in the back to top off their 3.8 between oil changes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You need to change both oil and filter like you normally would without having oil consumption.

Most of the oil is lost as a result of evaporation inside the crank case and burnt as the vapors travel to the intake through PCV system. By the way, check two things: 1) Noack Volatility of the oil you use and 2) Engine's operating temperature. Both will contribute to oil consumption.

Anyway, as your oil evaporates and gets burnt, wear metals remain. By adding fresh oil you increase additives, but do not reduce wear metals unless you completely drain and refill with fresh oil.

Keep just adding oil long enough and concentration of wear metals will become so high it will be abrasive, thus promoting more wear. Furthermore, additives like Phosphorus will accumulate and higher concentrations will adversely affect your catalytic converters. Sulfated Ash will also accumulate promoting the acidity of the oil.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I've read the same. By that logic your Jeep could burn through 4qts of oil in 3000 miles and that would be perfectly okay. In my opinion 2/3 of my oil disappearing between changes is cause for alarm.

I just can't believe that all the soccer moms driving around in their Town & Countrys have a quart of oil in the back to top off their 3.8 between oil changes
Lol I own both a 3.8 (jeep) and 3.3 (Van)
Both use oil and always have a QT stashed in the back.

·
Registered
970 Posts
sorry to hear you have one of the few 3.8's that use oil I have 2 that have never used a drop, My question to you is why pour expensive synthetic oil through this engine when a less expensive conventional oil will work just as well. I speak as a small fleet manager [7 gas powered trucks] and I found no difference in performance, engine wear or MPG that justify synthetic oil cost. In your case I would recommend conventional oil [5 w30] or even a 10 w30] and change it at manufactures recommended intervals for the lowest overall cost / mile for the life of the vehicle.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,010 Posts
Can I get a bag from ya. I wanna watch this !
Yes, why not share, plus I will include.......:beerdrinking:

Some of these 3.8 engines, are just helping the oil company's profits...:(
After all, somebody has to help them out......:hide:

Seriously, just buy whatever conventional oil is on sale, and change it at a regular interval.........:thumb:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts

Seriously, just buy whatever conventional oil is on sale, and change it at a regular interval.........:thumb:
Some 3.8's burn oil, most don't. Mine doesn't. The last line is great advice. Plus, I only will use Mopar branded oil filters in my 3.8 at this point. And, I'll see your :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: and raise you one. :popcorn: :D

·
Registered
122 Posts

On my way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts