Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the 2012 max interval is 8k/6 months recommended. Since I offroad a bit I settled on doing it every 5K due to the extra wear on the oil. Now I have a dilemma, I'm not putting all that much mileage on and I'm about 2 weeks away from 6 months with only about 4000 miles on the oil change. What do you guys think? Just change it at the 6 month mark anyway, or wait for 5K?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would wait. IMHO the 6 month recommendation is just based on average consumer mileage (15,000) per year and to get you to buy more oil.

I am embarrassed to say that I have had my 2013 10a for 11 months now. Have a whopping 4,200 miles on it. Changed the oil once, recently, and that was just because the dealer sent me a free oil change coupon.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
lol you guys need to get out more, I got my jeep a week before x-mas and just turned 16k.
as for changing the oil, I would wait until 5k.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's up to you. The manual indicates 6 months "or" 8,000 miles. Chrysler wants you to change it at least every 6 months even if you don't put any mileage on it. What you decide to do is your call.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol you guys need to get out more, I got my jeep a week before x-mas and just turned 16k.
as for changing the oil, I would wait until 5k.
Yeah, it would get more mileage except my commute is like 5 miles one way lol. So the only way it gets mileage is if I actually go for a trip somewhere. Usually not a problem but this last cycle including buying a house & moving which really put a damper on road trips for a couple months.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
So I know the 2012 max interval is 8k/6 months recommended. Since I offroad a bit I settled on doing it every 5K due to the extra wear on the oil. Now I have a dilemma, I'm not putting all that much mileage on and I'm about 2 weeks away from 6 months with only about 4000 miles on the oil change. What do you guys think? Just change it at the 6 month mark anyway, or wait for 5K?
Switch to a quality synthetic, and don't touch your oil for 8K MINIMUM. Just check levels from time to time. Changing oil every 3 or 5K on engines with modern oils is nothing more than an industry wide fleecing tactic. There is no reason to change oil that often.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Got my 2012 JKU brand new, coming up on 13,000 miles. I have done oil changes every 3,000 miles, tire rotations every 6,000 miles( every other oil change )... Maybe I'm used just used to the 3,000 mile mark.. Also the sticker ( on the windshield ) after the oil change, is showing "due the next 3,000 miles".....Got my first vehicle in 1976, always done the 3,000 mile or so,oil change. I don't put a lot of miles on per year, just trying to follow the recommended "sticker" thing on the windshield.. Always done my oil chages at 3,000 miles, for $40.00 or so, I feel it's worth it....Oil to me is the "blood" in the engine.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
Change it at 3000 miles, for conventional oil, or 5000 miles for synthetic.
Check your oil level weekly, or at least at gas fill ups, and you will be good to go...:thumb:
Sorry, but this is nothing short of insanity.
Thank you Sir, for the kind words!!!

Now what is your recommendation???

·
Registered
99 Posts

Switch to a quality synthetic, and don't touch your oil for 8K MINIMUM. Just check levels from time to time. Changing oil every 3 or 5K on engines with modern oils is nothing more than an industry wide fleecing tactic. There is no reason to change oil that often.
I agree 3-5k is a waste. For my 4.0L they recommend 6.5k minimum.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
Got my 2012 JKU brand new, coming up on 13,000 miles. I have done oil changes every 3,000 miles, tire rotations every 6,000 miles( every other oil change )... Maybe I'm used just used to the 3,000 mile mark.. Also the sticker ( on the windshield ) after the oil change, is showing "due the next 3,000 miles".....Got my first vehicle in 1976, always done the 3,000 mile or so,oil change. I don't put a lot of miles on per year, just trying to follow the recommended "sticker" thing on the windshield.. Always done my oil chages at 3,000 miles, for $40.00 or so, I feel it's worth it....Oil to me is the "blood" in the engine.
^^^Yep, and your engine will live a long time because of it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have some F250s in our fleet with the 5.4L engines and we go 6 months with a crap load of idle time and stop and go city driving. Using synthetic oil with oil analysis the oil is still in the ok range at the end of the 6 months. My 01 Honda Civic would go 6 months or 18k miles of highway driving before getting an oil change using Amsoil. That car still ran great at 260k miles. A good quality oil and filter will last longer than you might think.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Dog, you are Great! Thanks!! To all, a simple oil change is the MINIMUM preventive maintenance thing anyone can do! Check the fluids every week or so, change oil, rotate tires, don't just drive until some light tells you to do something.....We have PM's at my work on our machines to prevent failure, so I apply the same things at home with my "toys"... Spring's arriving, our RIG's need to be ready for some fun!

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
the oil was in the ground for a million years it won't care if you wait another month lol.
I change oil early mile wise but I know I am just wasting money as I have sent samples into blackstone labs and they always tell me to extend my oil change intervals as oil is still well with in specs at 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts

Well, I have had oil labtested and at 10K miles (on a 11:1 compression sports car motor) and it showed almost no sign of breakdown or meaningful wear. If you want an exact answer, then by all means, spend $20 and find out for yourself by having your oil tested.

Blackstone Labs

This will tell you the rate of breakdown of your oil and you'll know if you should run it for 3K or 30K.

Most modern oils don't break down that quickly, so changing it out at 3K would be like buying brand new batteries, and when the power level drops from 100% to 70%, you toss them and put in new batteries. It works, but you're losing a lot of money, and for no good reason.

Now, manufacturers are starting to stop with the BS 3000 mile oil change (look at BMW turbo engines)...and running them for almost 15K...and those engines run super hot being turbocharged an all.

Changing oil every 3K isn't going to hurt anything (except your wallet) but it is literally a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
the oil was in the ground for a million years it won't care if you wait another month lol.
I change oil early mile wise but I know I am just wasting money as I have sent samples into blackstone labs and they always tell me to extend my oil change intervals as oil is still well with in specs at 5000 miles.
I used to swear by early oil changes until I saw the proof staring me in the face. Its a hard habit to break, but in the end, Im a man of science and reason, and couldn't make emotional decisions on a scientific subject.

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
I used to swear by early oil changes until I saw the proof staring me in the face. Its a hard habit to break, but in the end, Im a man of science and reason, and couldn't make emotional decisions on a scientific subject.
Yes me too. We are the only Country in the world that changes oil as often as we do. Look at cars in Germany 10-15000 mile oil changes. I got turned on to Blackstone about 15 years ago and it has taken me 10 years to start leaving oil in longer. My buddy worked for Mobil for years (it made him a millionaire) and he said they had company vehicles that they never changed oil in. He said every 10K they would run tests and then keep on running it. He changes oil once a year in his vehicles no matter if he puts 1000 miles on or 20,000 miles on. He has one of the first M3's with no miles that just sits and he also has a K1200LT and R1200RT that he puts high miles on. Any good quality synthetic oil is going to last much more then we run it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts