Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my oil change light came on. I don't have time this week to change it, but I will Saturday. Is it okay to wait till then?

Also, does the light come on at a certain mileage, or does it come on when the oil gets dirty enough? I'm not sure but it has been around 3k miles. I am using synthetic oil if that matters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would at least make sure you are not low if you are going to wait.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This morning my oil change light came on. I don't have time this week to change it, but I will Saturday. Is it okay to wait till then? Also, does the light come on at a certain mileage, or does it come on when the oil gets dirty enough? I'm not sure but it has been around 3k miles. I am using synthetic oil if that matters.
Hard to believe the oil change light came on at only 3k miles, unless maybe it wasn't reset after the last oil change.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's really weird. The computer mainly goes by mileage but engine use is also factored in. My light never came on but I changed mine at 4k and now every 6k miles. May wanna see if that light comes on for oil related system issues also - I seriously doubt it could think your oil is fubar enough at 3k miles to warrant such an early change... I know a lot of peeps with new jeeps and the light comes on at 12k miles on average...

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
As long as your level is good there's no problem waiting. The oil change indicator light is a "recommendation" to change the oil. Check your manual regarding when it has to be changed, then decide if you want to change it sooner or if a severe duty situation applies. It's a "duty" based system. There are a number of driving factors, which is controlled by a computer logarithm, which triggers the light. Mileage, time and severe duty trumps the oil change indicator light regarding when the oil should be changed. If you want to ignore it just re-set it. The system has no way of determining how clean the oil is. Since you're using synthetic you might want to wait until 5,000 miles, your call.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,003 Posts
As long as your level is good there's no problem waiting. The oil change indicator light is a "recommendation" to change the oil. Check your manual regarding when it has to be changed, then decide if you want to change it sooner or if a severe duty situation applies. It's a "duty" based system. There are a number of driving factors, which is controlled by a computer logarithm, which triggers the light. Mileage, time and severe duty trumps the oil change indicator light regarding when the oil should be changed. If you want to ignore it just re-set it. The system has no way of determining how clean the oil is. Since you're using synthetic you might want to wait until 5,000 miles, your call.
^^^This!!!!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
The oil change reminder on 07/11 JK's goes strictly by mileage and must be reset at time of service it is an easy process just turn on but do not start the engine wait till the diagnostic check is complete then slowly push and release the throttle 3 times you will here a beep indicating the oil reminder has reset. On the newer 3.6 jeeps the monitor computes several factors and gives a read out of % oil life remaining and it to must be reset at time of service.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The oil change reminder on 07/11 JK's goes strictly by mileage and must be reset at time of service it is an easy process just turn on but do not start the engine wait till the diagnostic check is complete then slowly push and release the throttle 3 times you will here a beep indicating the oil reminder has reset. On the newer 3.6 jeeps the monitor computes several factors and gives a read out of % oil life remaining and it to must be reset at time of service.
This isn't accurate for 7-11 3.8 JK's. The oil change indicator operates exactly the same way as 12-15 JK's. It's a duty based system. Mileage is one factor out of many that determines when the oil change light illuminates. This is from my 10 owner's manual. The oil change light doesn't illuminate at any set mileage on my 10. The time and mileage always varies. Older JK's don't have EVIC which is referred to below. The system is still duty based even though oil life % isn't computed in older non-EVIC JK's.

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles, “CHAngE OIL” will
flash in the instrument cluster odometer and a single
chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Based on engine operation conditions the oil change
indicator message will illuminate, this means that service
is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced
as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
NOTE:
• The oil change indicator message will not monitor the
time since the last oil change. Change your vehicle’s
oil if it has been six months since your last oil change
even if the oil change indicator message is NOT
illuminated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the late update. Saturday I changed the oil. I am glad I did, it was pretty dark!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I switched to synthetic after my first change. I don't subscribe to the 3k mile rule. I don't think the jeep knows if it has synthetic or not, but I do follow the general duty cycle. I'm at 5k since last change and around 40% oil life remaining.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So you get synthetic but pay attention more to your oil life gauge? I'd just get it changed out every 10 months or so, but maybe I should rethink that.

I switched to synthetic after my first change. I don't subscribe to the 3k mile rule. I don't think the jeep knows if it has synthetic or not, but I do follow the general duty cycle. I'm at 5k since last change and around 40% oil life remaining.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my light came on for the first time at 9k at 25% oil life left. i also found out if you have a 15 model year you will get 4 free oil changes not tire rotations so if you look at it like jeep does you should be changing your oil every 7500 miles. that is my math for 4 free oil changes for the next two years

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Synthetic oil doesn't necessarily mean you can go longer miles with it, because it still gets dirty. Synthetics just handle heat better. However, I don't agree with 3,000 mile oil changes, because that number came from the 60's. Engines and oils are more advanced now. I always follow the manufacturer's suggestion. I also change the oil filter several times between oil changes.

·
Premium Member
6,910 Posts
However, I don't agree with 3,000 mile oil changes, because that number came from the 60's. Engines and oils are more advanced now.
The maintenance schedule in my 2007 Chrysler says to change the oil every 3,000 miles if I drive it under severe duty conditions - frequent short trips, dusty conditions or a few other things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts