Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Wrangler with 45-4700 miles on it and am wondering how often I should do oil change and rotations I've heard 3000 I've heard 5 I've heard 7 I'm a new jeeper just need some help

·
Registered
191 Posts
The short of a long argument!

The Evic dash will tell you when to change it based on your driving conditions. It could trigger anywhere from 3-10K.

I run full synthetic oil and go to about 6000 miles. Everyone has there own preference based on how comfortable they are with their brand oil.

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
I change oil way to early but it makes me feel good. I never let it go past 5000 miles. I rotate my tires every 3000 miles and my tires always have perfect wear. I think just pick a nice round number and stick with it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
On the Jeep I do full synthetic every 5k. Last oil change took me a year and a half to get to 5k though, and it was more like 4500 actually. Otherwise I might go longer on the miles.

Regular duty and regular usage you could probably do 7k-7500 or so with synth. 5k with Dino. Just my opinion, you will get a different one from just about everyone on here. Or on any forum. Asking oil change questions is like kicking a bees' nest.

As always for basic things like this, open up your owners manual. It will tell you what Jeep thinks which is a good start. Tweak it from there. 3k is going to be a little excessive, 10k probably too long. When you do get it changed, you could always send a sample to Blackstone to see how the old oil was if you're really curious. IIRC, you contact them and they send you a free sample jar and a pre-paid envelope, then you pay when you send it in. I think it was not expensive for the peace of mind on the cars I did it on. Never done it with the Jeep though.

Also depends on whether you are likely to run it till it dies or trade it in a couple years. It might be worth it to you to go on the more often side if you want to hit 200k in it...but it will cost you more money too in maintenence in the meantime.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
On the Jeep I do full synthetic every 5k. Last oil change took me a year and a half to get to 5k though, and it was more like 4500 actually. Otherwise I might go longer on the miles.

Regular duty and regular usage you could probably do 7k-7500 or so with synth. 5k with Dino. Just my opinion, you will get a different one from just about everyone on here. Or on any forum. Asking oil change questions is like kicking a bees' nest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Hey Wharfy, it's Craig from JU. Good to see you here. :beerdrinking:

I've been using the 7500 mile OCI with Pennzoil Platinum on forced induction and NA engines for 10+ years now. I'm also one of those that has always changed the oil on a brand new car at 1500 miles. I've put a lot of hard miles on modded engines and have never had an internal engine failure of any kind.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hey Wharfy, it's Craig from JU. Good to see you here. :beerdrinking:

I've been using the 7500 mile OCI with Pennzoil Platinum on forced induction and NA engines for 10+ years now. I'm also one of those that has always changed the oil on a brand new car at 1500 miles. I've put a lot of hard miles on modded engines and have never had an internal engine failure of any kind.
Whattup Craig, you certainly have found the Internet once more huh? Good to see you around again!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
When the Jeep tells me it is time. As said before, depends on how you drive. I wait for the Change Oil to come on but my manual says 6000 miles maximum. I always get the notice before 6000 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
I have a 2017 Wrangler with 45-4700 miles on it and am wondering how often I should do oil change and rotations I've heard 3000 I've heard 5 I've heard 7 I'm a new jeeper just need some help
We have ours changed by the dealer every 3 months, which comes out to 1200-2000 miles between changes.

There are probably no less than 30 oil change threads if you do a quick search and want to read why others change theirs at specific intervals. That and whether to use conventional or synthetic is other hot topic. ;)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm between 3,500 and 4,000 miles for my oil changes, and also do the five tire rotation with each change. It's easy for me to pick a "medium" between oil and rotations. Comes out to like twice a year or so. I know I could wait longer, but my rotation is important too so tires wear evenly. So I do them at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like to do the first oil change on a brand new vehicle a little early on the theory that there may be abrasives in the engine due to factory machining and assembly and metal particles from the breaking in process. I try to hit somewhere around 3000 miles for oil and filter. Most, perhaps all of the oil change light systems do not evaluate oil condition. They just count crankshaft revolutions. If you drive through a dust storm with no air filter, your oil change light cannot detect this because it is not really evaluating oil condition. After the first oil change, 5000 to 7000 is probably a good interval. Everyone has an opinion on this topic and some of them are actually correct. (perhaps including mine or perhaps not)

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you use full synthetic, the oil filter is more likely to be at its end of life way before the oil. Does anyone change the oil filter mid-cycle? Appears easy to do since it's on the top.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My dealer wants to change my oil, filter and rotate tires every 5,000 miles. Since I only put about 2,000 miles on it they chance it once a year. They told me Chrysler wants it changed at least once a year, and the coolant and transmission every 5 years regardless of the mileage.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My dealer wants to change my oil, filter and rotate tires every 5,000 miles. Since I only put about 2,000 miles on it they chance it once a year. They told me Chrysler wants it changed at least once a year, and the coolant and transmission every 5 years regardless of the mileage.
change it (couldn't edit)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts