Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the first oil change on a pre-owned 2017 JKU. Am I missing a drain plug gasket or washer, or does it not require one? I had a little bit of what I thought was rubber from a combo washer but might have just been a ring of dried oil. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
There is no separate washer, just the 'built in' sealing surface on the plug that you see.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The drain plug for my aftermarket transmission pan had a flimsy plastic washer against the pan, under the plug with the molded rubber seal.

I threw away the plastic piece and installed a new plug with the molded seal. It's a Dorman part, 1/2" x 20 TPI.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,785 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Non-issue..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Seems like something that will be prone to leaks so will likely replace and go magnetic at the same time

·
Super Moderator
23,431 Posts
Thanks all. Seems like something that will be prone to leaks so will likely replace and go magnetic at the same time
No leaks and 1000X better than aluminum or copper washers. I change oil early and often and never once had a drip or seep and never had to replace the original one. If you don't have a good feel what 20 ft/lbs of torq feels like use a torq wrench and don't over tighten and the OEM oil plug will last as long as your jeep

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I've got a Fumoto in a JKUWW and my Cummins Ram, and a No Spill on the JK
No Spill

Reactions: WillB

·
Super Moderator
23,431 Posts
I'm inclined to go with the solution that has the fewest moving parts...
I can not bring myself to use something that hangs down on the oil pan.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a fumoto that I never installed on my Ram - anybody running one without a skid plate?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Might want to strap it so it doesn’t drag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts