Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 with 98k miles has been drinks no oil the last week. On a road trip through the Rockies pulling an off road trailer. I need to add a quart of oil every 400 miles, or so. It's used oil off and on since new but the last week is new. I don't see any blue smoke out the back and there is nothing on the trailer. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Ant evidence of leak underneath, especially where the transmission meets the engine?
Does the oil looks like it’s got coolant in it?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My 2012 with 98k miles has been drinks no oil the last week. On a road trip through the Rockies pulling an off road trailer. I need to add a quart of oil every 400 miles, or so. It's used oil off and on since new but the last week is new. I don't see any blue smoke out the back and there is nothing on the trailer. Anyone have any ideas?
By the mileage is time for new spark plugs and pcv valve.
stuck pcv might be reason.
But check for oil leaks first.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
The first thing I'd do is check for leaks. Especially in the valley where the oil cooler/filter housing resides, then the valve covers, the rear main seal, etc. If there are no leaks, then I would do a cylinder leak down test, and a compression test. While I'm at it I'd change the plugs and PCV valve. A bad PCV valve can cause oil consumption.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe it’s out of oil?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No oil leek that I can determine. Have checked everywhere for leaks. There is no change in the coolant level. I did an oil change before starting this trip and used castrol full synthetic 5w30 ( as per manual and cap). Had the plugs replaced several months ago, along with the tyranny fluid. Stealership wouldn't do the pcv, supposedly, due to the aftermarket electrical wires around the battery. Will have to tackle the pcv when I get home but in the meantime I'll keep checking and keep adding oil. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts