Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a Liquivac oil extractor to remove the engine oil from my sailboat diesel engine as there is no way to access the drain bolt. This particular model has an 8 quart (7.5 litre) capacity.

Does anyone use an oil extractor on their Jeep?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
There really isnt much of a reason to, the drain plug is in a very open location.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I need to get one of those for my Wakesetter...lol. I can't see using it on the jeep. Way too easy to just turn a bolt and let it flow, and a lot less work (no pumping). Jeep is high enough you don't even need to jack it up. By far the easiest oil change I have ever done, especially with the filter housing in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There really isnt much of a reason to, the drain plug is in a very open location.
That is what I thought too, but although the drain plug is in a fairly good location on Jeep with an extractor you wouldn't need to get on the ground and get underneath. As well, there is less chance of spilling any of the old oil and it is easy to get it to the recycle centre.

There are a number of different types of extractors available and I found an interesting video of a Mercedes guy using an extractor and how surprised he was at how much oil is left in the pan when using the drain plug.

Oil Extraction video

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quick lube places use extractors because the industrial ones can be very fast and no issues with under / over torqued, stripped or forgotten drain plugs.

If you are concerned about residual oil in the pan, roll the front up on wheel ramps.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I had to purchase one for my Yamaha VXR waverunner for the same reason as OP, no drain plug on the marine engine. It worked really well for that.

Fast forward a bit, the ladys car was due for an oil change. Considering I did not want to climb under her Cruze, I pulled this bad boy out. Worked wonderfully.

A few months later, Rubi needed an oil change. I was feeling adventurous, so I busted this out again. Guess what... This pump pulled out 5.75 quarts of oil. At quite the rapid rate as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...53924638&sr=8-2&keywords=marine+oil+extractor

Just make sure you hold the output in a jug tightly, it tends to want to spray everywhere.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
We have one at work that we use for the engines on the runway arresting gear. The oil pan sits about 2" off of the foundation so it definitely comes in handy. We actually just got one that runs off of an air compressor (magic) so you really dont have to do anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts