Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,968 Posts
Fram had some QC issues years ago but their current Tough Guard filters filter to 99% efficiency which is better than many expensive filters can. I was an ardent anti-Fram guy for years but I learned last year that my opinion was based on old outdated Internet info. Their current Toughguards are very good and in comparison tests, are more than competitive. Fram invited ten "journalists" to their Ohio R&D facilities last year, I was one of them, and they spent two days on presentations and showing us how they test their filters. They fell on their swords the first day, owning up to a few issues I asked about and explained how they fixed them, but then showed us how some of the internet info was just plain wrong. The other nine were bonafide journalists so I dunno how I got picked but probably because I was so vocal on Fram filters.

Seeing the test results, meeting with their VP for engineering, and learning how filters are tested on their multiple test machines turned me around. I would use a Tough Guard (99% filtration efficiency) in anything I own now. I'm not as sold on their other filters (95%) but for what they compete against, they hold their own.

At some point soon, they are replacing all their current filters with an entirely new line that is all at the 99% filtration efficiency level. No more cardboard in their lower-end filters, which is what many keyed in on. But what's funny about the cardboard (not that it was really cardboard, it just looked like cardboard), was that is provided the flexibility to maintain an effective seal against the filter material. It was a good design in reality but it couldn't hold up to the scorn of those who kept going after Fram based on that cardboard end cap their low-end filter used.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts