Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what brand and model number oil filter do you use?
How much do you pay for your filter?

I have used Purolator PL14670 that have run me about $4.50 a filter through Amazon.com. They keep jacking their prices around ($11.00 a filter now) and I am done dealing with them. I would like to find another brand/source for my filters as I usually buy them by the half dozen.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I like the Wix, I get them at Napa or Kragen for like $6 a piece.

·
Registered
146 Posts
PAwheeler: The biggest problem with fram is they usually have a void in the filter media which allows unfiltered oil to pass through.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I get the Puralotor Gold filter at K-Mart for $5.95 regular price. If they are out of stock, I get a Wix from O'Rielly' for about $8.00.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Fram Xend guard, something like xt16 not sure about that number. Never heard about the void in the filter before.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On a 4.0 that I have. I use a motorcraft FL-1A. I know its a ford filter but the screw hole is the same size and thread pitch. Also the gasket is the same size too. I went this route because its a larger filter.

I found this out from a friend that happen to have one on the shelf as he was doing a oil change. Works great.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep the brands and the model numbers of those brands coming along with price. I will be making a spreadsheet of all the options for our TJs.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I recently switched to Wix... whichever one is recommended for the 4.0 (stock size). Have also been known to use Mobil 1 or Mopar filters. Mobil 1 is usually too costly...nothing wrong with Mopar in my opinion, but Wix is usually considered one of the best and it's the same price as the Mopar. Both are approx. $6 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
739 Posts
On a 4.0 that I have. I use a motorcraft FL-1A. I know its a ford filter but the screw hole is the same size and thread pitch. Also the gasket is the same size too. I went this route because its a larger filter.

I found this out from a friend that happen to have one on the shelf as he was doing a oil change. Works great.
Mopar makes a cross reference to the FL-1A, a 5" long filter, which I use because I can get them for $2.50 (trade price). FL-1A is commonly used on Chrysler products - they are inexpensive at Walmart.

Fram is bashed a lot, doesn't mean that the bashers know anything about what they are saying, they are just bashing. Fram, like the other big name brands, are used on Hondas and others as OE.

The Fram Tough Guard TG8A or TG16 is a high efficiency filter, I have used lots of them. The Fram Xtended Guard is a tank of a filter, if one needs a tank. Their ultimate engine protection, so they say.

Can't go wrong OE filters such as Mopar and Ford FL-1A.

If a filter manufacturer doesn't state their efficiency, then reconsider whether you want to buy it or not.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Idont know about the frams the filter element will collapse at high rpms. but great for every day driving

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Any one know how to tell if an oil filter has a check valve in it or not? My buddy told me the other day to always make sure I used an oil filter with a check valve, but failed to tell me how to tell the difference.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check out DoctorD's thread on ROF. Based on that info, I use Hastings LF115. Performance was above average in every catagory and they were reasonably priced. I bought a case of 'em a couple years ago at ( if I remember correctly)Drillspout.com.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts