Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently in the 2013 Penstar, their is a spring loaded setup. My ex-mechanix apparently broke off the tip. Please see attached pics. My dealership head mechanic is unsure what it does or if it is a real issue. of course, the suggestion is to replace the entire housing.
Can anyone tell me what this does? Is it a relief valve? What are the ramifications of not replacing it? spring nub 2.jpg

Spring Nub.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's your filter bypass. Dorman sells a generic replacement (part # 917992) that can be had on Amazon for $20.

·
Registered
135 Posts
First off Motor City Mechanic on YouTube has a bunch of videos on this. Second as noted above you only need the dorman part, not an entire replacement oil filter housing assembly. Lastly, and im not an expert but that piece is important because if the engine is under load and needs oil in goes through that part by depressing the spring and allowing engine to the engine...(again, im no expert but motor city mechanic is. Check him out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
473 Posts
Apparently in the 2013 Penstar, their is a spring loaded setup. My ex-mechanix apparently broke off the tip. Please see attached pics. My dealership head mechanic is unsure what it does or if it is a real issue. of course, the suggestion is to replace the entire housing.
Can anyone tell me what this does? Is it a relief valve? What are the ramifications of not replacing it? View attachment 3704961

View attachment 3704969

Just checking: the first photo is not of your vehicle? Asking because the part appears to be intact there...threw me off a little.

There are a couple of threads on this issue and the development of the part thanks to MotorCity Mechanic. This is now an affordable DIY fix using the Dorman part which is getting easier and easier to find online and some stores. Best thing to do is to pick up two. One for repair and one for back up. Some say the breakage occurs due to over tightening the oil filter cap; others say using non-OEM filters is the culprit.

As I understand it when this part is broken it allows unfiltered oil to circulate.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/help-2012-oil-filter-change-went-very-bad-1458570.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jku-3-6-oil-filter-1791545.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

You guys saved me a bunch of money. Much appreciated. It was hard finding he threads on this previously so thanks to watchful eyes, I am educated and in great shape. part ordered and video watched. Me=expert LOL. :worthy:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can anyone tell me what this does? Is it a relief valve? What are the ramifications of not replacing it? View attachment 3704961

View attachment 3704969

BTW: Can you let us know how many miles on your JK when this part failed?

·
Registered
140 Posts
BTW: Can you let us know how many miles on your JK when this part failed?

Mine was at 46k. Burned out 2 cylinders on a trip with no warning. Chrysler approved my dealership claim in 48 hours. This was around 16 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are under 90K the replacement should be covered under Powertrain warranty. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried that, it didn't work. Filed a complaint with HQ and they all came to the same conclusion... i broke it. Therefore they wont fix it.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
That's BS. It's a known issue. Difference between good dealers and bad I guess. I would let them know you are aware it is a huge issue. If they won't fix it under warranty I would walk and let them know they will never see business from you or your Jeep group again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
I tried that, it didn't work. Filed a complaint with HQ and they all came to the same conclusion... i broke it. Therefore they wont fix it.

I wonder what their response would be now if you showed them the MotorCity Mechanic videos on this issue? Any chance for a refund or courtesy credit for the future?? Not that you want to go back to them...

I agree this is b.s.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wonder what their response would be now if you showed them the MotorCity Mechanic videos on this issue? Any chance for a refund or courtesy credit for the future?? Not that you want to go back to them...

I agree this is b.s.

Long story short.... I wasnt charged anything. And when they told me even if there were pieces of the valve that I didnt retrieve they wouldnt be able to get into the engine, i told them to push my jeep back outside. Later that day i brought my dorman part and replaced it myself in their parking lot.

I am a big fan of Motor City Mechanic, and I am well versed on the issue, so everyone I spoke to got an earful. It was pretty pathetic honestly, Chrysler Customer Service just called the dealership and reiterated exactly what the service advisor said.

I argued what is the point of calling you when you refuse to listen to my explanation and only take the dealerships side.

Case Law says that a consumer can do routine maintenance on their vehicle. Nothing is more routine than an oil change. There was nothing I could have done to cause the part to fail.

It continued for about a week after I already fixed the jeep. ...I ended up just giving up.

I have had no adverse effects and at my last oil change the unaccounted for piece of valve came out in my oil filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good thread, My bypass broke today. I had just taken the oil filter out and as my back was turned from my baby I heard a pop and caught a glance of something bouncing off of the wall. I looked around and found only the spring. I knew there had to be something retaining the spring but still haven't found the cap. But I did find this thread and video below. Thanks

motorcity mechanic - 2011-2013 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram 3.6 oil filter bypass valve repair kit update!

https://youtu.be/lm3xZSSriPs

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Good thread..........sorry the OP had issues though! Subscribed in case I ever have any issues.

:drinks:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Good thread, My bypass broke today. I had just taken the oil filter out and as my back was turned from my baby I heard a pop and caught a glance of something bouncing off of the wall. I looked around and found only the spring. I knew there had to be something retaining the spring but still haven't found the cap. But I did find this thread and video below. Thanks

motorcity mechanic - 2011-2013 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram 3.6 oil filter bypass valve repair kit update!

https://youtu.be/lm3xZSSriPs

Glad you found this thread and will save many bucks on the repair. What was your mileage when the part broke?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
34,851 Posts
We are the lucky one's to have the old style filter assembly. The likely of us ever having a issue, is almost none. But if we do, easy fix. I keep a Dorman repair kit on the shelf.

I for one, don't want the new style housing. When they crack and some do, you have a engine oil leak, and the complete assembly needs to be replaced. So that requires a steam cleaning and a tow to the Dealer..not good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts