Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil tonight and long story short I forgot to put on the o ring. I drove about 10 miles realized I left it off came back and put it on. My question is does the oil filter housing contain pressure once you put the oil filter in and screw the cap on, put in your oil and drive a bit? I'm worried I released that pressure and may need to redo my oil change. If I'm good I won't worry about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I changed my oil tonight and long story short I forgot to put on the o ring. I drove about 10 miles realized I left it off came back and put it on. My question is does the oil filter housing contain pressure once you put the oil filter in and screw the cap on, put in your oil and drive a bit? I'm worried I released that pressure and may need to redo my oil change. If I'm good I won't worry about it. Thanks.
I think the main thing would be to see how much oil you may have lost. More than likely, without the o ring you probably leaked a little oil. I would say remove the filter, put the o ring back in place coat it with a finger dip of oil and reinstall. Then add any oil that has been lost and you should be fine. This is under the assumption that you were not running it too low which is not likely after 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If there was a dangerous amount of pressure loss, I would think that an dash idiot light would come on.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think you'd be okay. Another good thing about that o ring is it probably keeps you from over tightening the cap and accidentally cracking it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
In the future, consider not replacing the o-ring (or rarely). I think I've replaced it two or three times across 5 3.6 JK's and 275K miles. I use M1 about every 5K. Best not to overtorque - already mentioned. Unless you smell oil, you probably didn't lose much if any. it will be in the valley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The o-ring isolates the inlet line and pressure of the filter from that of the outlet. The worst that can happen is that some oil would bypass the filter. The question would be what is in that oil. You would not lose any oil. Also, if no oil pressure warning light came on, there was no pressure issure.
The only issue would be the potential circulation of sediment left in the oil pan following its disturbance during the draining and filling actions. The severity of any damage due to any bypass of sediment depends on how much there may have been. This again depends on your oil change regime. Rest assured though, the gap that this o-ring fills is quite fine so I do not believe that large particles would pass causing serious damage. However, another oil change is such a small investment that removes all doubt.
Something worth mentioning is that it is always best to change the o-ring as you don't know how good the seal would be due to deformation and then you are no better off than what you were with no o-ring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts