Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends! I was just wondering if anyone had any tips they could offer when doing your first oil change. When I say the first oil change I mean for me not the jeep haha. I have a 2011 jk and the oil filter seems to be stuck on there pretty well. No matter how much force I use it just doesn't seem to want to come off. Any Tips?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hello Friends! I was just wondering if anyone had any tips they could offer when doing your first oil change. When I say the first oil change I mean for me not the jeep haha. I have a 2011 jk and the oil filter seems to be stuck on there pretty well. No matter how much force I use it just doesn't seem to want to come off. Any Tips?
Hammer a screw driver into the side of it. This will give you more torque to turn it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Appropriate sized oil filter wrench from your local auto parts store. There are 2 types and they both work but you need to have them look up the filter while you are there so you get the right size.

By doing the screwdriver thing I have seen some people then just tear the filter beyond recognition when they try to turn it. You don't want to be in that spot. But if it's your only car and you can't get a ride, then yeah go for it. Not a whole lot of choices left at that point.

If your hands are just slipping, clean it real good and use some nice tacky gloves.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Appropriate sized oil filter wrench from your local auto parts store. There are 2 types and they both work but you need to have them look up the filter while you are there so you get the right size.

By doing the screwdriver thing I have seen some people then just tear the filter beyond recognition when they try to turn it. You don't want to be in that spot. But if it's your only car and you can't get a ride, then yeah go for it. Not a whole lot of choices left at that point.

If your hands are just slipping, clean it real good and use some nice tacky gloves.
I agree sometimes the old screwdriver way is a no go. Any parts store will have a filter wrench for rent or to buy for cheap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I actually went out and bought the oil filter wrench and im gonna give it a shot in the morning.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Before screwing the new filter on, place some fresh oil on the filter (rubber) gasket. Clean the mounting surface where the gasket will sit on the engine and don't over tighten the new filter.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Get the right size cap wrench and try that, if that doesn't work try a strap wrench. If that doesn't work a large pair of Channel Lock pliers. Last resort poke a hole through the center of the filter with a big screw driver and have at it. When you put the new filter on lube the rubber gasket with oil, hand tight, plus 1/4 turn and no more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I actually went out and bought the oil filter wrench and im gonna give it a shot in the morning.
I changed my oil this weekend and getting the damn cap off was the most difficult part of the whole process. I eventually ran to the auto parts store and got a socket for the filter cap, then everything went smoothly.

I can't believe how easy it is to change the oil in a Jeep. I haven't changed my oil in years with my past cars because (1) it was a difficult crawl to get under the darn car, and (2) getting the oil filter off was a royal PITA.

I like changing my oil now and the money I save I put towards a better grade of oil, and now I actually know what's being put in. With the corner oil change places I was never really sure if they put in what I asked for.

Question for those in the know, what are your oil change intervals for 100% synthetic oil? I purchased the expensive stuff thinking that it's more than 3,000 miles between changes and since I only do about 4,000-5,000 miles a year (I know, crazy right), I'm hoping to get away with only one or two changes per year.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If it won't come off with a standard oil filter wrench then get one of these.

Oil filter pliers. I have not seen a spin on oil filter that won't come off with one of these.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If the filter wrench is slipping on the filter you could try a piece of sandpaper folded over so it's rough on both sides and put it between the filter and wrench, gives you a lot more grip. Also make sure the old rubber gasket comes off of the mating surface, if you put the new one on with it still on you'll have a big leak.

Question for those in the know, what are your oil change intervals for 100% synthetic oil? I purchased the expensive stuff thinking that it's more than 3,000 miles between changes and since I only do about 4,000-5,000 miles a year (I know, crazy right), I'm hoping to get away with only one or two changes per year.
I go 4000 miles with Penzoil platinum Plus, I've heard of other people going more but like you I don't put a lot of miles on (just rolled over 18000 miles in 2 years 8 months) I buy the oil when it's on sale and wait until the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If it won't come off with a standard oil filter wrench then get one of these.

Oil filter pliers. I have not seen a spin on oil filter that won't come off with one of these.
THIS ^^^^
I bought one for our Equinox V6.... I have Arthritis and its hard to get in there and twist it tight or get it loose....And no room for a end cap wrench.
I have end cap wrenches for the Jeep and others, but these pliers
work great, I got mine at "Chi-Com Freight"..."BH"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts