Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a little sludge in my radiator overflow and thought maybe it was casting sand since that seems to be an issue with 2014s. Dealership called and said the engine oil cooler was leaking and oil got into the cooling system. I can turn a bolt but I'm not and internal engine guy. Does his explanation make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah that makes sense to me, I had a vehicle once where the trans cooler is built into the radiator, trans cooler leaked and mixed with antifreeze.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If oil got into the coolant because of an oil cooler leak, there is a possibility that coolant got into the oil as well. While running, oil pressure should exceed radiator pressure, but when cooling down I am not so sure.

Have the service department do a full oil and filter change after they have put the new radiator in.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
In August of last year, 2016, my 2013 Jeep started to overheat. I opened the radiator to check the coolant level and I found a thick sludge in my radiator. The oil cooler had developed an internal leak and engine oil was being pumped into the cooling system. Luckily, my Jeep was still under the 100k mile powertrain warranty so they repaired it for free. I asked the service manager what the cost would have been if I paid for it and he said it was around $1,300. They had to replace the oil cooler and numerous hoses that carry coolant. They also had to very thoroughly flush the cooling system and change the oil.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure the oil was changed and the system flushed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts