Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,

Having read a lot of threads about the used oil indicator system (duty cycles, engine loads, dusty roads… and on and on…) I’m going to assume mine is calculating correctly. That being said, when do you actually change your oil?

Do you wait for the percentage to reach 0% or is it advised to change it before it reaches 0?

If it hits zero, is this bad? Does it produce codes in the computer that would make the dealer question me on why I waited so long? For those who keep track of their mileage, how do you handle the indicators percentage if it doesn’t match your own calculations?

This will be my second oil change since owning the vehicle. The first oil change was completed barely 2 months after driving it fresh off the lot. I immediately switched to synthetic as I wanted the factory stuff out after the break-in period was complete. So in that particular instance, I was only at like 85% on the computer. After the switch, I reset the computer to 100% again. This oil change is more "normal" in the sense that I've been driving it all winter allowing the computer to do what its designed to do... counting down... how low should I let it go?

Advice?

·
Registered
533 Posts
After the initial oil change I have been doing mine right at 5000. My oil indicator thingy reads right in the 30% remaining. I am using the Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus and a WIX filter.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Don't exceed 10,000 miles or one year on your oil. Change it before it gets to 0 on the indicator system. If you do it yourself keep receipts and note mileage. I change mine every 5000 miles and rotate tires at the same time. I will change it sooner if out out wheeling for an extended time. Let common sense and the owners manual guide you.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I never heard of playing "chicken" with the oil change/% life indicator. Only how much fuel is left in the tank.:) As long as you don't exceed 1yr. or 10K, whichever come first, you're ok as far as warranty purposes. I wouldn't wait for 0.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I usually change my oil within a few hundred miles of hitting 0% usually around 8-9k I think I have change it myself on all my vehicles and have never kept any receipts and have never had a need to use the receipt for a warranty claim maybe I'm just lucky but I've owned more than 10 new cars and never had an issue without receipts.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
We just have ours changed every 3 months, regardless of the indicator or the miles driven during that time. Sometimes that comes out to 1,200 miles between oil changes. I don't even know if the 2013 models have an oil indicator.

I don't think I'll ever have to worry about exceeding the 10,000 mile limit. :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
We just have ours changed every 3 months, regardless of the indicator or the miles driven during that time. Sometimes that comes out to 1,200 miles between oil changes. I don't even know if the 2013 models have an oil indicator. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about exceeding the 10,000 mile limit. :D
Sounds like a waste

·
Registered
198 Posts
This topic of "I change at this", "don't change until the change light says", etc. eh.

Do what you want. I personally would never trust regular Dino oil for 10,000 miles. It breaks down by contact with air. So how can it last. But again my opinion.

I personally use full synthetic Mobil 1 and do 4000 mile oil changes.

Why you ask....

Because after my factory warranty expires and the damage done by not doing regular oil changes is already done but doesn't fubar the motor completely until 75,000 miles.... I'd rather do the oil changes than replace a motor. But I'm sure there's a lot of other opinions.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
We just have ours changed every 3 months, regardless of the indicator or the miles driven during that time. Sometimes that comes out to 1,200 miles between oil changes. I don't even know if the 2013 models have an oil indicator.

I don't think I'll ever have to worry about exceeding the 10,000 mile limit. :D
Sounds like a waste
There's a reason for it. The dealer included free lifetime oil and filter changes when we bought our Jeep. They require us to take it back to them 4x per year for an oil change if we want to continue the free program year after year. My wife's workplace is about 3 miles from our house, so she doesn't put a lot of miles on her JK.

I guess we could have the oil changed once in January and then wait until December and have it changed every 100 miles or something to meet the 4x per year requirement but I just remind her to take it there every 3 months. I think it's dumb but it's their rule.

I know why they do it. On a recent visit, they gave her a list of over $900 worth of recommended maintenance to have done at her next visit. She knows not to fall for any of that but I'm sure many people would just say to go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
GM uses a similar system and I have not had any problems with my Chevys by going along with it. The wife's Traverse oil change light goes between 4 to 6000 miles depending in weather. Now on my 09 JK I usually had the oil changed between 5000 to 6000 miles and the light tended to come on a week after I changed it. I also did not like the way the oil looked after 5000 miles so I am changing it now between 3000 and 4000 miles.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
There's a reason for it. The dealer included free lifetime oil and filter changes when we bought our Jeep. They require us to take it back to them 4x per year for an oil change if we want to continue the free program year after year. My wife's workplace is about 3 miles from our house, so she doesn't put a lot of miles on her JK.

I guess we could have the oil changed once in January and then wait until December and have it changed every 100 miles or something to meet the 4x per year requirement but I just remind her to take it there every 3 months. I think it's dumb but it's their rule.

I know why they do it. On a recent visit, they gave her a list of over $900 worth of recommended maintenance to have done at her next visit. She knows not to fall for any of that but I'm sure many people would just say to go ahead and do it.
They're trying to get you back into the dealer as much as possible, but they aren't dictating the terms of the warranty, FCA is. Personally I would file a complaint about shady (and wasteful) dealer practices - Not to mention I don't want to burn up a few hours on a Saturday every few months for no reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts