Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all these opinions on oils I did some searching and found this link. It contains really good information... Mainly talks about Defy by QS but scroll down and it ranks the top oils using numbers.
Not wanting to start an oil war just wanted to share this info with other Jeepers and these number can help us with decision making for our old school engines.

:)

Quaker State

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most oil brands are very good today. Just make sure you use the right weight for your weather. Most last beyond then the suggested 3K oil changes. Search Blackstone Labs.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most oil brands are very good today. Just make sure you use the right weight for your weather. Most last beyond then the suggested 3K oil changes. Search Blackstone Labs.
I agree w/ I stick with 10w30 no matter brand.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cool link. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, modern name brand API approved oils are pretty good.
Only "mental" issue I have with brands: Having seen too many high iron numbers in used oil analysis from ordinary Mobil 1, I quit using it. Valvoline Synthetic and Pennzoil Platinum seemed to me to be the best overall wear numbers in the real world UOAs...so usually I stick with Valvoline synthetic (or conventional). I've never had an issue with these. Although, to be fair, a lot of perfectly good, high mileage engines have used Mobil 1 for many years. It's probably better to pick one and stick with it unless you find a good reason to change.

I am trying out the QS Defy in the Jeep 4.0 now. I believe it's a good product.
10W-30 is what they call for in my engine and year as the preferred weight for most temperature ranges, so 10W-30 for me. :thumb:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool link. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, modern name brand API approved oils are pretty good.
Only "mental" issue I have with brands: Having seen too many high iron numbers in used oil analysis from ordinary Mobil 1, I quit using it. Valvoline Synthetic and Pennzoil Platinum seemed to me to be the best overall wear numbers in the real world UOAs...so usually I stick with Valvoline synthetic (or conventional). I've never had an issue with these. Although, to be fair, a lot of perfectly good, high mileage engines have used Mobil 1 for many years. It's probably better to pick one and stick with it unless you find a good reason to change.

I am trying out the QS Defy in the Jeep 4.0 now. I believe it's a good product.
10W-30 is what they call for in my engine and year as the preferred weight for most temperature ranges, so 10W-30 for me. :thumb:

The article pretty much is saying not all high zinc oils are on top.

Seem like Valv VR1 Conv is number 1 overall... not the non street legal stuff

I recently got my Jeep so I wasn't really educated on the best oil for it yet... had the oil changed to Val Synpower and it did run and idled very smooth. The old oil and filter looks like the PO didn't change it for a long time it stank really bad the filter was very dirty outside and in. Well the Synpower seemed to clean the engine out as I had to change it after 2K miles. I tried M1 HM next and the Jeep ran smoothed but the idle was more rough... So last night I changed to Defy after doing alot of reading and QS states Defy is best for engines made in 2004 or older and flat tappets with the SM rated

I also noticed M1HM didn't even make the list on the link when it comes to wear protection :/

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree. Zinc is just one factor of many. When they reduced the max zinc, the API also reduced the allowable wear on valve train components on the solid lifter, overhead cam engine used in the test sequences. Let that sink in. Less zinc, and less allowable wear. The oil blenders had to step up, and in my opinion, they did.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well on my first day on Defy which was yesterday the idle was little rough but less than with M1.

Today I notice the idle is alot smoother and quieter... Guess my 4.0 doesn't like M1

Defy was like 14ish for 5qts plus less than 5 for the 1qt. vs m1 being 25 bucks just for the 5 qt.

Has anyone tried VR1 conv?

·
Registered
591 Posts
...Has anyone tried VR1 conv?
I've used both conventional and synthetic VR1 "street legal" type with the normal detergents and stuff (but not in the Jeep yet) with no problems that I know of, nor any different sound. I think I have read that some folks have said their engine sounds noisier on Mobil 1, but I haven't had any engine sound different to my hearing with Mobil 1 or any other particular oil brand--with changing weights or changing to a slightly thicker "high mileage" oil--maybe a little, but not with just different brands.

My Jeep is noisy, like rattling lifters, after a minute after start-up until it warms up. It seems better with thinner oil. I tried 10W-40 and it made it worse, so now I run QS Defy 10W-30.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts