Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, for the last year I have had a very slow oil leak from between my engine and tranny. It gets oil EVERYWHERE! It drips from the bell housing and leaves residue pretty much along the entire outside of the bell housing too. I originally thought it was the rear main seal so this last weekend I replaced it along with the oil pan gasket. I noticed today that it was still leaking! Same amount and location. I was really hoping someone might know what's going on or has had this happen to them too. The leak isn't really a big deal but I'd still like her to stop wetting herself in front of all the other jeeps. Thank you all in advance for any info you might have!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Leaks flow down and get blown rearward.... follow it up and forward till you find it.

If the engine is really grimy, get it spotless and look for oil reappearing.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Check the valve cover seal with a clean pair of gloves
X2....vale cover...check the very back...usually leaks there and runs down the back of the block...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does seem to look like it may be the back of the valve cover. Dumb question but to replace the gasket I shouldn't need to drain the oil right?

·
Registered
158 Posts
It does seem to look like it may be the back of the valve cover. Dumb question but to replace the gasket I shouldn't need to drain the oil right?
Nope. But be sure both the valve cover rail and block surface are clean before you put everything back together. One piece of grit under the gasket and you'll be looking at the same leaking problem all over again. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Pay the little extra for a fel pro rubber one piece gasket..do not replace with cork...IIRC you don't even need to use RTV to install the felpro...I did however put just a dab of removable lock tite on the valve cover bolts...not a lot just enought to keep them from backing out over time...good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts