Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what's up

I recently had a remaned motor put in my yj it's a 87 with the 4.2 I have 507 miles on it and took it for a long 200 mile ride up city highway and back roads last weekend to make sure she's ready for riding season. It had Rained out and when I went to get back in it after lunch I noticed a rainbow on the ground looked under it and the back of the motor and front of transmission were wet with oil. Any ideas ????

Could it be as simple as just something good losing up from braking in ?

·
Supporting Member
2,839 Posts
Hey guys what's up I recently had a remaned motor put in my yj it's a 87 with the 4.2 I have 507 miles on it and took it for a long 200 mile ride up city highway and back roads last weekend to make sure she's ready for riding season. It had Rained out and when I went to get back in it after lunch I noticed a rainbow on the ground looked under it and the back of the motor and front of transmission were wet with oil. Any ideas ???? Could it be as simple as just something good losing up from braking in ?
Rear main or residual from the old motor dripping off

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it could just be old oil finally making its way done hopefully worst case the rear man is wasn't put in right if it's the rear main is doable in my drive with just some jack stands limited mechanical ability or should I just start trying to Deal with garage that put motor in I'm trying not to go back cuz they took over a month to do the motor I don't wanna lose it that long again lol

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd look at the valve covers, and clean everything up really good. If you can't find the leak after the clean up and a couple of days driving get some UV dye add it to the oil and check for the leak with a black light in couple of more days. It worked real nice for me.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Most common place to develop a new leak is the back of the valve cover. you can try re-torqueing the bolts to see if it will stop, sometimes it needs a new gasket.

The other is the rear main seal. This can be replaced in your driveway with just common tools. Does require dropping the oil pan, and replacing the pan gasket. There are videos on youtube that you can watch for a reference on how to replace it properly. The only odd tool that you should probably have for either job is a good torque wrench.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an oil leak but it's from the transmission as it's clear and settles in the skid plate. I can't seem to locate where it's coming from. Suggestions please.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts