Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Today I just found a minor oil trace just beyond the transmission oil pan. I have checked underneath my jeep and everywhere else is dry. I also checked the oil cooler area which is fine. 2017 JKU with 54,000 miles. Have any body seen a oil leak from the same location? I know JK is notorious for oil cooler, rear main seal leaks. I am not even sure if this is related to a leak since this is not adjacent to any seals nearby. Also there is no oil puddles on the skid plate beneath the transmission oil pan.

TBH this is also the first time I noticed this area so I dont even know when this happened... Car has been running fine.

I cleaned this area and see if this will show up again. I do hope this is not a leak.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Any residue near where the power steering pump bracket mounts to the block? If so....it could be a timing cover leak. I had one on my 2017 JKU and caught it just a couple thousand miles out of warranty. FCA wasn't any help. To add insult to injury, I found paperwork from the previous owner that on two separate occasions the leak was noted but he didn't authorize the work to be completed....which would have been performed under warranty (and of course the dude covered it up when he sold the jeep to me....) :(

Don't be lax....get the sucker in for a check ASAP! You're likely still under the 60K warranty that would cover such things.

<D>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any residue near where the power steering pump bracket mounts to the block? If so....it could be a timing cover leak. I had one on my 2017 JKU and caught it just a couple thousand miles out of warranty. FCA wasn't any help. To add insult to injury, I found paperwork from the previous owner that on two separate occasions the leak was noted but he didn't authorize the work to be completed....which would have been performed under warranty (and of course the dude covered it up when he sold the jeep to me....) :(

Don't be lax....get the sucker in for a check ASAP! You're likely still under the 60K warranty that would cover such things.

<D>
Thanks for your advice. I have checked the timing cover area and it is dry. I will keep an eye on my jeep more frequently before it runs out of warranty.....

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks for your advice. I have checked the timing cover area and it is dry. I will keep an eye on my jeep more frequently before it runs out of warranty.....
I also have this "very rare" :) chain cover infamous leak since new, it stopped when I started using a slightly thicker oil.
I’m reluctant to let them fix it because they have to disassemble half of the engine to reseal the chain cover. If they are unable to assemble those properly at the factory when parts are clean and dry I doubt they can do it at my dealership with oil and coolant leaking from everywhere.
For those seeping spots permatex makes a transparent spray RTV that can be sprayed without disassembling anything.
I didnt use it my self yet though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts