Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '15 JK started leaking oil today after a short 15 mile trip. about a 1/4 cup. The oil is all along the transmission gasket trough (there's a little lip on it) and I can't figure out where it's coming from. It seems up higher than than the middle of the engine so it's not the pan or the new Fumoto valve. Every nut on the transmission pan had oil dripping from where the oil overflowed the top lip of the pan. All this leads me to believe that something over the top of the transmission at the rear of the engine block is the source but the dipstick connection is not leaking. Jeep has 900 miles on it and I changed to 5-20 mobile one at 600 miles. Dip stick does not show over full and pressure is fine.

Goes to the deal on Monday but I'll be trying to sort it out before then. I can't believe I traded a Toyota for this. Not even 1000 mile and two serious problems already.

And I did check the forums but the only thing that sounds close is the 2014 oil cooler leak which should not be my problem given the later model year.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The oil cooler was redesigned in 2014 and will also be on your 2015 engine. There is no evidence that Chrysler has fixed this problem on the redesigned part, and therefore, your leak may also be a result of the faulty oil cooler. If you find out that it is, can you please post that info in the oil cooler leak thread.

·
Registered
52 Posts
could it be transfluid if it is all over the trans pan bolts it could be some one overfilled you trans and it could have burped out of the vent tube on top of the trans but if it is oil im at a loss im not to familiar with these new jeeps the older ones like the tj and xj

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,728 Posts
The oil cooler was redesigned in 2014 and will also be on your 2015 engine. There is no evidence that Chrysler has fixed this problem on the redesigned part, and therefore, your leak may also be a result of the faulty oil cooler. If you find out that it is, can you please post that info in the oil cooler leak thread.
^^^Yep, it maybe this!!!!!!
Oil leaks can be serious, so that justify's a trip back to your Dealer ASAP!!!

Is Mobile 1 a Chrysler/Jeep approved oil???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had a problem with an oil leak on my 2015 wrangler also. The oil was coming from a cross threaded oild filter cap. I had my oil changed and drove about 600 miles before it started to leak. Since the oil was leaking from the top, I had no clue where it was coming from. I would check you oil cap and see if there is any cross threads.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
... I changed to 5-20 mobile one at 600 miles.
...Any ideas?
A few things to check:
- Did you properly torque the oil filter cap? It has a big hex on it, but only gets torqued to 18 ft-lbs.
- Did you get the filter cap o-ring properly installed?
- Did you use the correct filter?

I can't believe I traded a Toyota for this.
It might not be too late to change back!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading the above and several other posts on filters, oil, etc., I checked the oil filter cap which was installed correctly, the o ring does not appear to be deformed and is in the last wide gap before the top of the cap (ie: past the threads). There was a lot more oil leakage today after a one mile trip to check for leaks and there is a lot of oil in the valley between the heads. I mopped up what I could reach with a bunch of paper towels and cleaned off all the visible oil so I can check for leaks in the garage with the cover off.

I used Mobile 1 5-20w but I can't see why that would cause this 1/2 quart leak. I'm still not clear on "approved" vs some other verb but Mobile 1 product sheet says its OK for Chrysler products. At the risk of igniting another nuclear war, I don't believe Mobile1 would cause a leak.

It goes to the dealer on Monday but I'm working off any gigs to ensure I didn't cause this. Any more suggestions would be appreciated and thanks for the info above.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
After reading the above and several other posts on filters, oil, etc., I checked the oil filter cap which was installed correctly, the o ring does not appear to be deformed and is in the last wide gap before the top of the cap (ie: past the threads). There was a lot more oil leakage today after a one mile trip to check for leaks and there is a lot of oil in the valley between the heads. I mopped up what I could reach with a bunch of paper towels and cleaned off all the visible oil so I can check for leaks in the garage with the cover off.

I used Mobile 1 5-20w but I can't see why that would cause this 1/2 quart leak. I'm still not clear on "approved" vs some other verb but Mobile 1 product sheet says its OK for Chrysler products. At the risk of igniting another nuclear war, I don't believe Mobile1 would cause a leak.

It goes to the dealer on Monday but I'm working off any gigs to ensure I didn't cause this. Any more suggestions would be appreciated and thanks for the info above.
I think the most important thing to know is whether or not the cap was over tightened or not. Did you do the oil change or did a tech?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I did it and it was done "finger tight" to avoid over tightening.
Well then, that's your problem. No way you can tighten it enough to keep it from coming loose without using a wrench (and by that I mean a calibrated torque wrench).

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well then, that's your problem. No way you can tighten it enough to keep it from coming loose without using a wrench (and by that I mean a calibrated torque wrench).
I think you're right.
34SF,
Do you see oil dripping from the oil cap base?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gee, no I never thought of that.:censored: Of course I checked this. There's no oil on the tube or the cap. It's coming from somewhere under the oil filter tube, past where I can see. The more I read the more I think its the "Oil Filter Adapter" part problem that occurred with many 2014s which may, or may not, be the result of torque on the tube when tightening the cap. 18 inlbs is not that much and is about finger tight with a t-handle. According to the 14' thread, Chrysler never copped to why this was happening, poor design, too much torque or a combination of heat and plastic.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
18 inlbs is not that much ..
18 ft-lbs, not in-lbs, but no big deal, you seem to know exactly what you're doing. Carry on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics don't show much except prove that it's not the cap or the filter tub that are leaking. Drive it for about 5 minutes before checking to see where it was leaking from but I can't tell.
The magic part is $67 dollars and is shown in the last picture. After reading the majority of the complaints, NTHSB has not force Chrysler to issue a recall despite several hundred instances of this. The danger comes from the oil sitting on the hot head and though is smokes, it hasn't caught fire. I wasn't able to find case where a vehicle had caught fire because of this and only one person who had to have the adapter replaced twice.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
15 ftlbs. Correct. point being made here that correct tightness does not involve cheater bars, breaker bars, cousin Oleg, or "wrench it until it stops." This is plastic and especially when it's hot plastic, it can break.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
15 ftlbs. Correct. point being made here that correct tightness does not involve cheater bars, breaker bars, cousin Oleg, or "wrench it until it stops." This is plastic and especially when it's hot plastic, it can break.
You mean 18 ft/lbs...right?:):beerdrinking:

·
Registered
48 Posts
we just got a 2015 JK and was leaking from day one. Finally took it to the dealer with just under 300 miles. Ours was leaking from an accessory hole in the block on the right side. We got a drip about every ten seconds while the engine was running. The dealer put a bolt in the hole with sealant around it. No more leak. In the meantime they also offered us a new short block. But i figured that is potentially a huge can of worms so we left it as is.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts