Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep is leaking oil towards the front to the transmission. Looks like oil is coming from in between the flywheel guard and the transmission. Could this be coming from the main seal? I hope not. Where else could the oil be coming from?

The attached images show where the leak is. I drew a red arrow. Is that where the main seal is? It seems to be wet.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes that is pointing to the main seal. Looks like engine oil to me. That would mean it's ether a main seal or a leaky valve cover gasket near the back of the engine. If you are using synthetic motor oil you might try changing to mineral oil, but that's a long shot if the seal is leaking a lot. If it's just a spot or two after long drive, that might work. Won't fix it but it might give you some time.

·
Registered
412 Posts
50/50 on valve cover or rear main. Almost doesn't matter since both are going to go anyway.

Reactions: JeepTJs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just replaced the Valve Cover gasket because it was leaking. I was hoping it was the only leak....well hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first....you know how that goes. RMS is leaking! Now debating do I do it myself or have it done by a local shop. Probably do the clutch at the same time if I have it done at a shop.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had a similar leak on my 05 Rubicon. It appears to have been mostly valve cover gasket.
I would try starting with the valve cover gasket first. It is probably tired and in need of replacement anyway. Besides it is not expensive to DIY, an easy job that just may fix your issue. While there, replace the rubber grommets on the valve cover for the vent elbows. They are only a couple of bucks each. Mine were weeping oil there too. Everything is nice and dry now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts