Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was searching for a used wrangler jk at the moment and I found a good one with 55k miles, everything in the car is perfect except the fact that he changed the oil pump for the car recently, and the exhaust pipe have some oil on it from the outside (I’ll show you in picture to understand what I mean), so my question here is this normal or something scary? If I check the car at the dealership is this enough to give a good feedback about the car or they may not by this professional to tell me whats going with the car exactly

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
What year and why did the oil pump need to be replaced? Was the engine ever starved for oil? I'd be extra cautious with that one.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The fact that oil pump was changed tells me that at some point the engine had an oil pressure problem. Oil pressure is the life blood of the engine and operation even for a short time with low or no oil pressure [oil starvation] will cause major engine wear or damage. I personally would walk on this one.
Side note the picture of the smoking oil oil soaked tail pipe is certainly NOT a JK wrangler.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Without seeing the vehicle, running and checking it, based on the brief history you described if that was all I had to go on, I'd pass.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Having the oil pump replaced on the pentastar doesn't necessarily mean the engine was starved for oil or suffered any damage. The pentastar uses a pump with a high pressure and low pressure mode controlled by a solenoid. There were a number of pump replacements because the solenoid wasn't switching correctly. This isn't a "turn off the engine immediately" kind of fault. The computer would limit revs to about ~3300 or so until the fault was cleared.

If there's actual oil on the exhaust pipe, then that's a problem. If it's just a little darkened then that's normal.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I doubt there is oil at the end of exhaust, at list not from the motor.
There are 2 catalytic converters on the way no oil in liquid form will pass that obstacle.
Another fact to consider is smoke, if there is oil in the exhaust there should be a lot of blue smoke coming out under acceleration.
55K spark plugs shall be still not changed, remove one from the right head, if engine is burning oil it would be visible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts