Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have oil dripping out of the front of the bellhousing on my ax15. It leaves a baseball to basketball sized stain anywhere I park it. It smells like gear oil to me, but is there a place for gear oil to leak from the front of the transmission? I keep thinking it must be the rear main on the engine, but it sure smells like gear oil. I'll probably have to pull the trans either way, but I would like to know what to look for once I'm under the jeep.

·
Super Moderator
12,725 Posts
Pull the dipstick and smell your motor oil. Does it smell the same?
Have you had to top off your transmission fluid or motor oil? You'll want to discover which one is leaking ASAP. What you're describing sounds like a substantial leak. I suggest that you keep checking on whatever is leaking and keep it topped off or serious damage can happen. Naturally, the best course of action is to discover where the leak is occurring and repair it.

If you have a 4 cyl engine, yes, you'll have to pull the transmission to change the RMS. If you have a 6 cyl engine, then, no. You don't have to pull the trans.

Another source for that type of dripping is a leak on the back of the valve cover. Since it's easier to change a valve cover gasket than change a RMS, you might consider changing the valve cover gasket as part of the process of elimination.
You can always take the Jeep to the quarter car wash and clean off the back of the engine. Then monitor that area for any leaks.

As far as what gasket set to use, most posters here (me included) recommend the blue rubber Fel-Pro gaskets for the valve cover and oil pan. The Fel-Pro RMS set includes the pan gasket.

I haven't read a lot of reports of the front seal on an AX15 leaking. It's certainly possible, but the more common culprits are the valve cover and the RMS. With that size of puddles, it should be easy to diagnose where the leak is coming from by where you discover what needs to be topped off.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts