Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change the oil today and found that it looks like it leaking, but not from the pan. I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea what this thing is called it's leaking from or why it would be leaking from there. There is no and has never been an oil spot on the driveway so if I wasn't under there I wouldn't have even known. Here are some pics from under the jeep

Thoughts? Should I be worried about this?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Iam thinking rear main seal..just around bottom ? Or coming down from top some where?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do you have manual tranny? If so there is inspect cover bottom of bell housing ,take off and check out slave cylinder

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
It looks like the rear main seal is leaking, it could be the transmission but I don't think so. Clean it up, and keep an eye on it, if its red [the color of ATF] after you clean it would be the transmission, I doubt it though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I cleaned it and I will watch. It is defiantly not red. If it continues dO you think the rear main seal is something I can fix or do I need to take it in?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Rear main seals can be Some what tricky , If not installed prop you will end up with a constant nagging leak still. I'd probably have shop do it...If that's what it is

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just saw the same thing with my 2014 JKU. But mine leaked all over the garage. Called jeep and they towed it to the dealer today in the morning. Dealer is telling me is a gasket from the oil cooler. They have ordered it but don't know when it's coming in since they are on back order. Will have a better answer on monday.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Just saw the same thing with my 2014 JKU. But mine leaked all over the garage. Called jeep and they towed it to the dealer today in the morning. Dealer is telling me is a gasket from the oil cooler. They have ordered it but don't know when it's coming in since they are on back order. Will have a better answer on monday.
I doubt this one is leaking from the oil cooler. I'm thinking rear main seal here, or a nasty leak at the back of the valve cover that's running down, although I doubt it. It would be worth running your fingers around the back of both valve covers to see though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Or get yourself a black light to help trace the leaks. Different Fluids flource<sp> different colors.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Nuke! I walked into that one.

Did some research AFTER I posted this and need to see where its coming from exactly. RMS isn't possible for me to do by myself. I've also read that it could start at the intake manifold as well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked and still can't tell exactly where it's coming from. I heard Autozone sells a rear main oil leak sealer. You just dump it in where your oil goes and it will find and seal the leak. Anyone try this? Is it bad to do/try?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'd be Leary off putting stuff like that in my engine...!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts